New Homeowner / Pool Owner

just a quick update , I went borrowed a buddies vac , and bought an adapter to hook it up to my skimmer basket ... well I was able to get about 4 full skimmer baskets of leaves , dirt , grass etc. So thats where all my bleach is getting eaten up.

I know I started the slam process but would it be okay to turn off the pump for the night try and let everything settle to get one last good vac in tomorrow and start the slam after? The pool is stirred up quite a bit from brushing earlier today and using the vac in the afternoon

Morning update

Okay so I turned the pump off for about 8 hours last night to let everything settle, this morning I did a very slow and thorough vacuum. Good news is I only pulled up a very small amount of leaves, so I think I got the majority yesterday. After the vacuum , I brushed the entire pool and didn't seem to hit anything. I think it is officially clear of organic matter off the bottom. So hopefully the SLAM will start to really get going, just poured in 4 bottles to get it back up to shock FC level.

I added stabilizer on friday of last week , can I test to get an estimate of where Im at in CYA ....I'm scared that my CYA is higher than I'm estimating and therefore not hitting the correct "shock" level

I added the the bleach about an hour ago , I just tested the water and the FC was up to ~18ppm and CC was at ~1ppm

so already the FC seems to maintain it's level much better

Pool seems to be pretty milky/cloudy still , can see the third step fine but not the bottom of shallow end. ( I can see the vac head on the shallow end )

okay woo hoo , good news is the FC is holding its level much much better , I put in 4 bottles of bleach this morning around 9:30 to get the FC up to 18ppm , I just checked it again at 1pm and its still at ~17.5 ppm , with CC of 1ppm still ....

Shall I continue to just keep cleaning the filter and keep the fc above 16ppm until it becomes clear ? It is still pretty cloudy

Yes. You continue the SLAM process until you pass all 3 criteria to stop ... right now you are failing all of them still with cloudy water and high CC, and have not checked the OCLT.

Back in post #13 (05/30/14) you said that you added CYA. Did you use a sock, add to skimmer, or broadcast in the pool?

Depending on which method you used, you could have lost a fair amount with all the backwashing you've been doing. Wouldn't hurt to do another CYA in a couple of days.

haha thats funny you ask , the bottle said I could dump it in the skimmer so I did that

I actually tested it today just to make sure I was using the right fc shock level , I could barely see the dot at 50 and couldn't see it at all at 40 , so I'd say the CYA is in between 40-50

Problem with dumping it in the skimmer is that it all ends up in your filter, which is arguably OK if you're not in the middle of a major cleanup. If you are, the next time you clean the filter they get to sell you a bunch more stabilizer. Occasionally the CYA plugs up the pipes going to the filter which is kinda bad for the pump.

Recommended practice is to put the CYA in a sock then either drop the sock in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return jet. Hanging it in front of the return jet seems like a total win to me if you're in the middle of a SLAM since you'll be running the pump continuously anyways...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yikes! Nope it was powder form and I guess I got lucky that it didn't clog the pipes , and most of it must of got in the pool , not the filter I guess, because I tested today and it was at ~40ppm...

Also I checked chlorine before work at about 4:00 pm before work and it was at 11.5 so it only dropped from 18ppm to 11.5 since 9:30 am , best it's held since I started and CC was pretty much .5ppm with a 10ml sample it was nearly clear with 1 drop , just a slight slight hint of pink , and with the 2nd drop it was fully clear.

Just not seeing any clarity improvement , going to buy some filter powder tomorrow see if that grabs more

update and with pictures!

Got home from work last night checked the chlorine and it had only dropped from 18ppm to 14ppm , so that was great news. PSI was about +7 over the base , so cleaned the filter, added some more bleach , brushed a little , and hit the sack praying for a clear pool.

Im begginning to feel like Walter White, almost positive everyone from my local wal mart thinks I'm a meth head now20140604_111414_resized.jpg

Here is how the pool is looking this morning and the pups on their morning stroll ...the golden is Sugar and the pit is Roxy, and they really can't wait to leap in...I told em to grab the bursh and help...20140604_111239_resized.jpg
YBQSl6L.jpg

But is definitely starting to look better, I woke up late but when I tested the water this morning , FC was 10ppm , so dropped about 7ppm over night. Throwing more bleach in, brushing some more and going up to get some filter powder.

I can see the light !!

I'm kind of confused by this FIber filter powder, can you all help

It has a chart to tell you how many cups to put in depending on your filter sqft

Im almost positive that my filter is 120 sqft , and the chart says for 72 sqft to add 18 cups of this stuff, that sounds outrageous. I try adding like 5 cups and my filter shot up like +7 past base psi.

after work update , it was 11pm so I couldnt see the pool much

but the FC was at 12ppm, so it's definitely holding better. Added 2 more jugs for the overnight massacre. Filter was +7 over base , hose cleaned it, and added some more filter powder. Drinking a beer and trying to hold my horses =) will update in the am

morning update, It's definitely getting there. I can now see the bottom of the shallow end, woo woo !

Also FC was at ~14ppm this morning , which is a huge improvement. Never thought getting a pool clear would be such an accomplishment, couldn't have done it without yall

20140605_104111_resized.jpg

Quick update :

Well the pool is getting more clear everyday , today I was able to see the water reflecting the sunlight on the shallow end. First time I was able to see that, so definitely making progress. Can't wait to see the drain in the deep end, that will be a huge milestone.

z1EXA1N.jpg

and the bleach continues to pile up

WPqOAzA.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.