Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Total Control PPC1
Hi Everyone!

We are in the process of moving into a home with a pool. There is a large, but not leaking, crack which led us down the route to resurface due to the age and the condition of the plaster. My main concerns now are around the plumbing, filter, and pump. Admittedly we don't know what we are doing or where to begin troubleshooting. Hopefully, we included enough information to start a conversation to better understand and care for our pool. The previous owner admitted that she did not care for the pool and rarely used it, which the condition backs this up.

First, a list of the equipment:
15k gal in-ground pool with above-ground waterfall spa
Hayward Cartridge Filter (model unknown as the sticker peeled and faded)
The pump is T55CXCRW-1602 @2.25HP and runs noon to 9 pm daily
SWG Autopilot ST-220 with SC-36 Cell
Blower motor of unknown specs to produce bubbles for the spa.

Current chemical levels:
PH: 8.2
BR: ~3
CL: 1.5
Salt: unknown until I get the test kit later
Image link

Problems that we noticed:

1. The autopilot control head is blinking, indicating that the salt content is too low (2 service light blinks - link). We added a 50lb bag of pool salt last week but didn't have a salt test. According to the bag, we need four bags of salt to reach the recommended level. The pool supply store said we could rely on the salt cell for monitoring the level. We can remediate this with a proper test and adding the necessary salt to bring ppm up. Pool service has been supplementing chlorine since it was so low to start.
  2. The pool filter hangs around 5psi (see link for photos). I am not sure that is enough since I recall reading around 10psi is normal. I opened up the filter last night and cleaned the cartridges until I can get replacements.
  3. The pump loses prime each night. We have already replaced the check valve since the spa drains each time the pump is off down to the level of the pump. This did not remediate the issue, and each time the pump is turned off, the spa drains partially, and the pump loses prime. When manually filling the pump filter basket to start prime, water empties and never fills. I am at a loss as to what to check to diagnose the problem. Images and video are in the link below. We notice a lot of bubbles from two of the six return jets, likely from the air in the pump.
  4. When vacuuming via the skimmer, eventually, the pump loses all prime, and the filter basket empties. All you can see in the filter basket is water flowing like a waterfall into the bottom of the pump. Could this be a blockage in the line causing suction issues?
  5. Pump noise, not sure if this is normal. The video is linked for reference.
To the TroubleFreePool community, this is my SOS after getting the runaround with the pool company (check valve should have "solved" all problems).

Google drive link

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Welcome to the forum..
Post your pictures directly to the forum. Not real keen on clicking on a blind Google link. Video upload to Youtube and insert link here.

The loss of prime when vacuuming means you have an air leak. Could be pump lid, valves before the pump, the vac hose, etc.

Hello, "C" - Welcome to TFP! (While reading your post, I got the impression you may already be familiar with the pool care methodology practiced by the majority of the forum members?)

I'll point you to some additional information for your consideration while waiting for the expert and experienced member responses to the specific concerns of your post. Suction Side Sir Leaks and Water Chemistry ABC's

Doing your own water testing with a quality, reliable, drop-based test kit is paramount to successful owner maintenance. The 2 test kits recognized by the Forum that are capable of producing proper results are TFTestkits TF-100/TF-Pro and the Taylor K-2006. Test Kits Compares The Taylor also comes in the K-2006C version, which has 2 oz reagents and is a better option of providing a higher number of tests than the smaller (.75 oz) version.

You stated the salt level is unknown so you may want to consider not blindly adding salt from the Salt Cell Reading until a result is obtained using a Taylor K-1766 Salt Test. Better to undershoot the addition and test in a couple of baby steps rather than overshoot (as with any adjustments to water quality).

Rest assured, TFP methods work. This is my 3rd full year after nearly 40 years of yo-yo-ing from the bad advice of "Industry Standard" practices.

(I now see @mknauss has spoken while I was composing)

Reactions: Mdragger88
IMO, Imgur is fine if OP can't readily resize all the images. I can see everything.

The part number you provided for the "pump" is actually for the motor. Can you get the actual model or a clear picture of the pump? In my experience, failure to maintain prime is usually the pump lid o-ring (inspect replace it if necessary and buy some Magic Lube II), a worn out diverter valve, or a combination of both.

Thank you dfwnoob and Getitrite!

Absolutely will get more information on the pump. Most of the stickers are either missing or faded to complete white, but I will do the best I can. I ended up not making it to the pool store today to grab some baseline tests until my TF kits come in but should be able to tomorrow. Definitely agree with the guidance to test before and after adding any chemicals/salt. When I had the water tested at the pool store the salt was registering at 0ppm 2 weeks ago. No salt has been added since.

After playing around with the valves, I think I found where the air was getting into the pump. The pump filter basket drain plug threads are broken slightly and I can hear a slight hissing now. I ordered a replacement screw to validate this.

Thanks to this video for finding the air leak.

The salt cell is now blinking 3x on the service light which is code for a power supply issue. Planning to investigate more tomorrow.

Still puzzled by one jet not pushing water out in the spa. When the blower is turned on, the air is pushed out but no water.

Thank you all again for taking some time to help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.