evabobeva

Jul 30, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, looking forward to becoming a pool expert here, haha. My husband and I purchased a home with a pool summer of 2019, never having owned a pool before. 17,000 gallon plaster pool. I guess we got kind of lucky because although we hadn’t really been doing much to the pool aside from adding chlorine tabs and shocking it every now and then, we hadn’t experienced any pool issues. That is until recently. We started getting black mold. I had one of those cheapy store bought kits, and was running tests, but I learned they aren’t accurate. We brushed the black mold with a stainless steel brush and because the pH and TA was high, we’ve been adding muriatic acid to get it down. pH is close to ideal, but it’s still testing as alkaline. There weren’t very many black mold spots, and they haven’t reappeared since brushing and getting the pH down. Got my test kit today and ran all of the tests, still trying to figure out what it all means!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to TFP! :wave: First let's confirm what testing kit are you using. Also note that you haven't updated your signature yet with all of your pool and equipment info. Very important for us to provide good answers. With that info we should be able to help you out.

Also, be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics for lots of great info.