New green pool!

Thanks guys! I'm going to remeasure CYA, pH, and CH today.

If 80 CH is correct and I want to hit 450, so need to add ~96 lbs of calcium chloride, is there a recommended way to add this much differing from the normal approach? I assume because CaCl2 and water is an exothermic reaction I shouldn't just use all 96 lbs in at once, but would need to go a little slower... Is there a max amount I should add at once?

f 80 CH is correct and I want to hit 450, so need to add ~96 lbs of calcium chloride, is there a recommended way to add this much differing from the normal approach? I assume because CaCl2 and water is an exothermic reaction I shouldn't just use all 96 lbs in at once, but would need to go a little slower... Is there a max amount I should add at once?
I would go in stages as calcium can tend to make the water cloudy. Below are our typical instructions. What made you select a CH target of 450? You may want to consider a more conservative approach of say 300 or so, especially if your local water is hard. You can always add more calcium later, but can't remove it.

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

Pool Math tells me my ideal is between 350 and 550, and it defaulted to a target halfway in-between at 450. 🤷‍♂️

Water is somewhat hard here. I'll start at 300. One of the Lowe's near me sells 50 lb bags of 100% calcium chloride pellets.

Pool Math tells me my ideal is between 350 and 550,
That is why it's good you asked. The APP is a great tool, but does not know each pool's specific circumstances (local water, location, etc). Starting at 300 is a good move. :goodjob:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Oops! I meant to type 40 for CYA. I've updated my post. I think they seem pretty good too - especially if TA is going down and pH is rising!

Thanks! I think I'm pretty happy at the moment. I added all of what calcium chloride I had, which was 4 lbs. I'll measure CH again tomorrow before I head to the store to buy some more, and I'm going to target 300 and add in smaller batches.

I'm still looking for some suggestions for a new pump - should I make a new post over in the hardware section?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.