May 17, 2023
New York
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All!

My fiance and I just bought our first house at the end of last year, and it has a pool that I'm now working on opening. I've never worked on pools before, but I've been learning a lot online (mostly from this awesome website), and learning a lot from my experiences so far. The pool hasn't been opened in 5 years the previous owner told us, but last time it was closed it was "professionally closed/winterized", and its been sitting with the winter cover strapped tightly on it and full of water ever since.

About the pool:
I don't know the gallonage for sure, and I can't see much in the pool, but based on reading online and ye olde measuring tape, I'm estimating 27,000 to 30,000 US gallons, probably 28,000. It's an in-ground chlorine gunite pool.
There is no heater but there are lines and a gas line where one used to be.
The pump and filter are inside a semi-heated garage, which relative to the pool is underground (the garage is attached to the basement of the house and opens out the side of a hill).
The pump is a Leslie's Hydramax II Self-Priming, with what appears to be a MagneTek Century Centurion motor, hardwired 240V on a 20A breaker. The filter is a Pentair Sand Dollar SD-70 with an MPV.
The pool was, expectedly, very green when we first opened it this past Sunday.
We had it inspected when we bought the house - they found no leaks, and the pump works but has bad bearings.
We bought an Aiper Seagull Pro to help us with the job and to help us maintain the pool.
For chlorine testing I bought a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit, and for the time being I just bought some multi-purpose strips to test everything else just until I get things a little bit more "managed".
I also bought a phosphate test kit - I plan on ignoring phosphates as this website suggests, but was curious just to see what they were initially and during/after cleanup.
Initial measurements showed 0 chlorine and CYA (duh), 0 alkalinity, 0 hardness, pH somewhere in the 6s (was hard to tell for sure, but no higher than 6.8), 0 phosphates.
I have separate valves to control intake to the pump from the skimmer and main drain, and I have a built-in pipe from waste to a dedicated drain in the garage, and a quick disconnect to the pump.
Pool has two outlets from the filter both on the shallow end of the pool. Skimmer is a hole in the wall mid-pool that I had to figure out some random tubing and such that the previous owner left.

I got everything running again... Needed channel locks to initially open the MD-into-pump, and some plumbers tape in the quick disconnect and in the drain port on the bottom of the filter... I decided I'd use the pump as-is for now as it has its own thermal shutoff if the bearings cause an issue - I've had it running 24/7 since we initially opened the pool and its only slightly warm and keeps running fine (just very very loud). I'll probably replace the pump once everything is clean, or if I find I need to while cleaning. Unless its easy enough/cheap enough to change out the bearings, and its a pump I'd want to keep?

What I've done:
I started to adjust the alkalinity, pH, CYA, and hardness, but then decided since I keep swapping decent amounts of water as I vacuum to waste and also backwashing that I'd stop until the pool is further along. Is this okay? Especially for the CYA which said to add directly to my skimmer and not backwash for 48 hours... I don't think you guys like Clorox Shock XtraBlue very much, but I decided to use a little of it just while cleaning up since from what I've read its so strong at killing pretty much anything - and as far as I'm aware it will raise my CYA, so I end up getting some from this. I'm also using liquid chlorine in addition to the shock to maintain chlorine levels of at least 10 PPM (not pouring in at the same time, and will adjust my PPM target higher if I see my CYA go higher, per the SLAM calculator here). As I go I can transition to just separate CYA and liquid chlorine. I'm not yet doing OCLT - I figure no point while my pool is still obviously green and cloudy, and will start once I finish visibly cleaning it. The water very quickly became very very cloudy once I started heavily chlorinating it, I assume because of lots and lots of dead stuff! I'm manually vacuuming daily with a tool left here that appears to just vacuum only, no scrubbing, since its easier to move around than the scrubby vacuum he left. It leaves nice white trails behind it as I move it, from what I can see in the shallow end. I'm also running the pool robot, attempting for a couple times per day if I have time. It kinda just vanishes off into the abyss and then becomes difficult to find in the dark green and cloudiness. The filter in it I'm guessing actually becomes full after about 30 seconds haha. I did not start with a pressure gauge on the filter (I did, but it was busted and just showed 0). I finally got one today and it showed 6 PSI - I have no idea what it should be but that seemed too low to me. I emptied the pump basket and turned everything back on - 4 PSI... Cut the power and reached inside the pump and found lots of gunk! Including a piece of the frictiony tape they put on pool stairs! Got everything out that I could find - 22 PSI! I adjusted the pump basket to make sure things can't get around it. Let it run for a bit, monitoring things, tested backwashing/rinsing, still 22 PSI. Went upstairs and looked and saw in these brief few minutes of getting my PSI up to 22, my skimmer had suddenly almost entirely cleaned the top of the pool of the tree stuff that was blowing around this morning. Ha! I know no one can know exactly what "clean" PSI should look like for me, but does this sound like its in the ballpark? The pressure slowly rises while running - slow enough that its hardly moving, but fast enough that if you keep standing there you can visibly tell it moved. I left for a 30 minute meeting and came back and it said 28 PSI. Backwashed and rinsed, and back down to 22 PSI. I have sand cleaning solution I can try, and also have some DE filter media with sand boosting instructions.

At this point I assume I probably should have drained the pool, cleaned it while dry, then refilled and balanced. But honestly I'm kinda having fun and I've learned a ton in the process. For now I plan to keep throwing the robot in, manual vacuuming to waste, backwashing if doing so looks really dirty or my pressure goes to 32 PSI, maintaining chlorine levels, and checking the skimmer and pump baskets.

Welcome to the forum!
Be very careful doing any chemical adjustments based on test strips. You may be very disappointed. Such as you say 0 TA and a pH in the 6's. That is chemically impossible. If you have 0 TA, the pH is ~4.5. Vinegar.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome! :wave: yes, a partial drain night have been better. As for the CYA, if you added it to the skimmer then did a backwash, it's gone. It got flushed out to water before it could dissolve. That's why we use the sock method.

At this point, you'll need to ensure accurate testing for all levels, and be sure to follow the
SLAM Process page carefully. It works.

Another note *
If the clorox xtra blue is dichlor or Trichlor its quite acidic & not helpful for your cause with your low ph & ta.
They are also expensive for the amount of fc they provide.
IMG_6342.pngIMG_6341.png
Fc is fc there’s not one type that is more effective than another if used to achieve the same fc level - some just affect more parameters than others
liquid chlorine only adds fc & a dab of salt
Trichlor & dichlor add fc, cya, & are acidic
Cal hypo adds fc & calcium
For the
SLAM Process
stick with liquid chlorine.

Thanks for the responses! There is so much misinformation out there on the web it seems, I'm really glad I stumbled upon TFP.

@mknauss - oof... Yeah I highly doubt the pool had a pH of 4.5 haha. I definitely thought the results seemed a little odd, good thing I held off on continuing to try to adjust anything other than chlorine to start with. I went ahead and bought a Taylor K2006C kit! Thanks for the links. I've been reading a lot of the articles on TFP, but there are lots more here. Will keep reading!

@Texas Splash & @Mdragger88 - I stopped adding CYA originally because I knew I'd be backwashing so often. Was using the Clorox shock stuff partially as a way to help get some CYA in there since it doesn't go in the skimmer. Its 72% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dyhydrate (which I assume is just dichlor), but wasn't sure if there was anything else in that last 28% that made it "stronger". I've stopped using it now and switched to just the liquid chlorine I have. And I'm going to use the sock method for adding CYA after I more precisely measure my levels :)

Pool is coming along nicely I think! I'll post some pictures soon!

A couple more questions -

I bought a solar cover, but since my skimmer sits in the pool not built into the side of the pool, do you recommend that when I'm cutting the cover to size I cut around the skimmer, or just leave it over top? And do you think I should use it while I'm still cleaning up to help keep things from falling into the pool? So far the skimmer is doing a decent job of grabbing everything floating. If I do use it while still cleaning, I imagine I'd need to cut around the skimmer, or close the skimmer and exclusively use the MD, (while the cover is on) while I run the pump 24/7.

Any recommendations for a replacement pump for my setup (or if I should attempt replacing bearings)?

Sounds like you’re figuring the basics out👍🏻 great job on ordering your kit.
When it comes post up all the results. The only thing you should add while you wait on accurate testing is 5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day. This will keep things from getting worse without accidentally causing other problems since you’re flying blind for the moment.
Not sure about the solar cover options with your skimmer set up. To be honest I would probably forego the cover until you get the chemistry under control & pool is cleared up.
Not sure about the pump either but the others will be able to help you there.

Just piping attached to a hole in the side of the wall that I either screw in my skimmer bucket and drop in the basket and float, or I screw in an attachment to put a hose onto for vacuuming.

Attachments

• PXL_20230526_180015228.jpg
    PXL_20230526_180015228.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230526_180126911.jpg
    PXL_20230526_180126911.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 18
Night before last I attempted the pool's first OCLT, and it passed! Went from 10.5 PPM to 10. Letting my chlorine drift down to about 6 for now until I can accurately measure my CYA.

Here are progress pics of the pool. First pic is
from immediately after opening on day 1, Sunday, May 21st. Last pic doesn't show how clean it actually is because the solar cover is on the pool now to grab some of the heat from the beautiful week we're having here. This weekend when I take the cover off for our first swim I'll take another picture! Dates are in the image names. By the 28th the pool looked clean :)

My full test kit was supposed to be here two days ago but shipping got delayed twice... Hopefully here today. I just want to start getting my other params in order already! 😁

Pump is sounding worse and worse - guess I'm not surprised with bad bearings and running 24/7 for over a week, and now with it's "coolant" warming up from the solar cover. Pool has gone up from 60 degrees to 72 so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20230530_174732459.jpg
    PXL_20230530_174732459.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230527_200449978.jpg
    PXL_20230527_200449978.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230526_180126911.jpg
    PXL_20230526_180126911.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230525_235643425.jpg
    PXL_20230525_235643425.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230524_192817671.jpg
    PXL_20230524_192817671.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230523_150457460.jpg
    PXL_20230523_150457460.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230521_142649221.jpg
    PXL_20230521_142649221.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Full kit arrived! Here are all of my measurements:

FC: 8.5
CC: 0
pH: 7, maybe 6.9
TA: 110
CH: 80
CYA: Under 30, maybe 25

I went ahead and then added the CYA I currently had on hand, which was 3 lbs. I haven't done anything else since.

Full kit arrived!
Great! Let's get started. You've made some progress on the water, but now we need to confirm what we can't see with our eyes.
- Definitely need to increase the pH. Your TA should be high enough to allow the pH to rise, so I would be hesitant to increase the TA any further. What about aeration? Do you have a way to cause aeration in the water to help increase the pH naturally to at least 7.2?
- Are you planning on doing another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? If so, let us know the results. The water was still green in the last photos. If you chose not to do an OCLT, then once you re-test your CYA be sure to keep the FC balanced to that CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
- According to your signature this is a plaster pool correct? Are you sure about that CH result of only 80? If so, you'll need to add at least 170 ppm worth of calcium to get to the minimum level of 250. That's important to protect the plaster.

Remember, if your water isn't as clear as the ones in the link below, you still have some work to do. But let us know what you think.

Reactions: ArtP
I don't have a simple way to aerate, no. I suppose maybe I could jury-rig something together to attach to my returns to pump water into the air letting it fall back down... There are probably simpler ways to aerate a pool though I assume?

I wasn't going to do another OCLT, but I wouldn't be against it - my water is quite clear now, I just didn't have a comparative final photo without the solar cover on. I'll get one soon! But I do have this random still from video of my pool robot which shows the clarity on the 29th. Perhaps I don't currently have water as clear as those photos in that clarity competition post though :eek:

I did feel pretty good today after a neighbor told me our pool looks more clear than theirs, and theirs wasn't shut for 5 years!

Pretty sure the 80 is correct, I was very careful with the instructions. And when we first opened this pool we found some small areas of plaster/paint damage. Pool Math says to hit a target of 450 I'd need to add 96 lbs of calcium chloride? Oof... I'll remeasure tomorrow to double check.

Attachments

• PXL_20230529_191519741_exported_266.jpg
    PXL_20230529_191519741_exported_266.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 12
Are those stains in the picture or algae? If there’s any visible algae (dead or alive) carry on with slam.
Count your cya as 30. (always round up if inbetween).

Last edited:
Are those stains in the picture or algae? If there’s any visible algae (dead or alive) carry on with slam.
Count your cya as 50. (always round up if inbetween).
Stains. No visible algae anywhere.

50? Did you mean 30? Lowest the Taylor kit goes is 30, and I had to fill it all the way to the brim, which is below 30, which is why I guessed 25 ish. I'll be taking another CYA measurement today since I added 3 lbs yesterday.

I don't have a simple way to aerate, no. I suppose maybe I could jury-rig something together to attach to my returns to pump water into the air letting it fall back down... There are probably simpler ways to aerate a pool though I assume?
Take another look at the pH later today. If it still seems to be below 7.0, then you can look into one of the methods noted below.

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Stains. No visible algae anywhere.

50? Did you mean 30? Lowest the Taylor kit goes is 30, and I had to fill it all the way to the brim, which is below 30, which is why I guessed 25 ish. I'll be taking another CYA measurement today since I added 3 lbs yesterday.
Ah yes- 30! I edited my post 👍🏻

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.