Apr 25, 2012
Mass
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I have an old (30+ plus years) Hayward Sand Filter that needs to be replaced as we have struggled with repairs all year long. Any suggestion for a 30,000 gal. vinyl, inground pool? And is it possible for a person like me with somewhat above-average DIY'er skills to install the filter, pump, and connect the piping? I don't have any experience with plumbing/PVC installation and that is my biggest worry. I have replaced a motor on the old pump with relative ease.

Thanks in advance.
GM

The plumbing isn't terribly difficult - depending on your setup - but it you're just replacing what already exists, most of the plumbing measurements can be copied. Just need to be aware of the orientation of your new filter and multiport if you're using one. I would practice on some scrap so you can get into a groove as far as timing the prep/glue and final orientation of the piping so you have less waste. Plenty of good youtube videos showing the basics.

Definitely consider a cartridge filter - I replaced a 30+ year old Nautilus FNS De filter with a Quad DE this spring and wish I went with cartridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.