New EVO 614i Robot Pool Cleaner Review

Just an update on my issue.

I got the cordless vacuum for 130.00 and for me its a game changer. It gets up all the leaves, long seed pods and debris (except limbs). It does it fast and reliably. AND...like a powerful leaf blower....it delivers me blissful zen of instant gratification.

I have retired Wanda, wont vacuum with the traditional hose to filter method anymore. I will use this leaf vacuum and i will end up getting a decent robot for the finer stuff.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Sam,

I am very happy with the EVO, but then everyone was happy with the Dolphins until they started to die.. But this took several years, so only time will tell if the EVO lasts longer. I hope so, but have no way to see the future.

If your Dolphin picked it up, then I would have to assume the EVO would do just as well if not better.

Still no scheduling... This is not an issue for me as this time a year the robot only goes in the pool once or maybe twice a week. I can see who it could be a hard turn off for many others...

Thanks,

Jim R. not sure how i missed notification on this but i think i am sold. if you like it, i like it. also the guy with the same dolphin that replaced motor and everything else just like i did on my active 30. just wish i found this post before i bought another freaking cable for my dolphin. oh well, i am ordering one. thanks!

I am taking the plunge today. Purchasing at Marina's. It is $100.00 more than Amazon but free shipping and no taxes for Texas makes it about $40.00 more expensive at Marina's. Worth it to support someone other than bezos.

Really helpful thread. Thanks everyone.

I'm in tech and wondering how the app connects to the cleaner. I'm guessing the control box has a Wi-Fi connection? I'd really like an automated scheduler, but I'm not sure an app update would do it. If the app isn't running on your phone all the time, how is it going to push a "turn on now" command to the cleaner?

I would think it would be easier for the manufacturer to simply set up a mode that says "start a cycle when power is applied." Then it would be easy to connect it to a smart plug on a timer. Maybe this could be accomplished with a firmware upgrade? And maybe you could make that mode selectable in the app?

All speculation, but I'm just saying, adding scheduling may need more than an app update.

Really helpful thread. Thanks everyone.

I'm in tech and wondering how the app connects to the cleaner. I'm guessing the control box has a Wi-Fi connection? I'd really like an automated scheduler, but I'm not sure an app update would do it. If the app isn't running on your phone all the time, how is it going to push a "turn on now" command to the cleaner?

I would think it would be easier for the manufacturer to simply set up a mode that says "start a cycle when power is applied." Then it would be easy to connect it to a smart plug on a timer. Maybe this could be accomplished with a firmware upgrade? And maybe you could make that mode selectable in the app?

All speculation, but I'm just saying, adding scheduling may need more than an app update.

You're correct - the control box has the wifi module. It is storing some information somewhere (not sure if local or cloud, but assume cloud since you login to connect to cleaner) because it gives you the ability to name the cleaner and it holds last used mode in memory somewhere.

Reactions: sdmark
I am taking the plunge today. Purchasing at Marina's. It is $100.00 more than Amazon but free shipping and no taxes for Texas makes it about $40.00 more expensive at Marina's. Worth it to support someone other than bezos.
I'm showing $50 cheaper than what amazon has the robot listed for, and then no tax saves another $70 here in Texas. :unsure:

I'm showing $50 cheaper than what amazon has the robot listed for, and then no tax saves another $70 here in Texas. :unsure:
well that is odd. they quoted me $849.00. it was $749.00 on amazon when i was comparing. just checked again and you are right now as it went up to $899.00. no big deal, i was charged shipping as well and was told i would not be. it was only 10 buck and showed up in 2 days so i am not complaining. still worth going with someone other than the giants.

well that is odd. they quoted me $849.00. it was $749.00 on amazon when i was comparing. just checked again and you are right now as it went up to $899.00. no big deal, i was charged shipping as well and was told i would not be. it was only 10 buck and showed up in 2 days so i am not complaining. still worth going with someone other than the giants.
Sure enough, looks like Amazon ran a little sale on them from Aug 4 to Aug 10 - looks like $899 is the every day Amazon price on these. For shipping, they shouldn't have unless they changed policy. Their website still says "

FREE U.S. SHIPPING on all robotic pool cleaners." - may or may not be worth raising a stink over $10, but might be worth letting them know so they can change their website if something HAS changed.

Reactions: sdmark and SamsIam
I had never heard of a SwitchBot before but another thread mentions it as a workaround to non-automation robots:

Link in this post: New Robot Vacuum - Dolphin Triton PS or Explorer E30 - Control with Wifi/Alexa Plug?

Pic in this post: New Robot Vacuum - Dolphin Triton PS or Explorer E30 - Control with Wifi/Alexa Plug?

Would that work with the 604 or 614iq? (A robot to push the button on your robot. What is the world coming to?)
sounds feasible if you can mount it. i saw one only due to a repair video on my pentair pump. seemed to work for that guy. he used it on his pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would that work with the 604 or 614iq? (A robot to push the button on your robot. What is the world coming to?)
I use the start button on the power center to start my EVO all the time.. It is just faster than using my phone..

It is just a one button push and release, so it sounds like your "Robot to push a button" should work.

The question is.. Does the robot button pusher have a scheduler???

Thanks,

Jim R.

You have to manually push the on button, or you have to manually use the app to turn it on.
Gotta say this is a pretty dumb design flaw, especially for the (lazy?) folks like me that put a robot on an automated switch much of the time.

Should have been a no-brainer to run the bot when the power switched on, like the basic Matronics units.

Last edited:
The question is.. Does the robot button pusher have a scheduler???
Yes. Apparently you need a hub and a button-pusher. I guess the Starter Combo has both for $63. See details here:

My use case/argument is that I'm on Time-of-Use electric metering in San Diego. Electricity is cheaper during the night so that's when I'd probably run the pool robot. Who wants to get up at 2am to turn on the cleaner?

I emailed Aqua Products to ask about Evo with automation. No reply. So I called and waited on hold for 20 minutes, with an "average hold time 0 minutes" message repeating. No answer. Then I spoke with Seth at Marina. He said he'll ask their Evo rep about automation and get back to me.

Mark,

I was told that EVO has no plans for a weekly timer... that was a couple of months ago, but I doubt it has changed. :(

On the other hand, I really doubt that you would even notice any increase in your electrical use by running a robot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mark,

I was told that EVO has no plans for a weekly timer... that was a couple of months ago, but I doubt it has changed. :(

On the other hand, I really doubt that you would even notice any increase in your electrical use by running a robot.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Correct about the power usage. I think the S200 was like $0.25 to operate per cycle. This unit is probably similar.

As far as weekly cycles.. in the past, I left the S200 in the pool 90% of the time. Weekly cycles only worked for 3 - 4 cycles in a row, because of the tangled cord. Ultimately, most of the maytronics units also died because of water intrusion.

For now, I'm being more careful with the Evo until we get some hard data. I've been pulling the unit almostneveryntime it runs. I am impressed with how the cord does not get tangled.

Yes. Apparently you need a hub and a button-pusher. I guess the Starter Combo has both for $63. See details here:

My use case/argument is that I'm on Time-of-Use electric metering in San Diego. Electricity is cheaper during the night so that's when I'd probably run the pool robot. Who wants to get up at 2am to turn on the cleaner?

I emailed Aqua Products to ask about Evo with automation. No reply. So I called and waited on hold for 20 minutes, with an "average hold time 0 minutes" message repeating. No answer. Then I spoke with Seth at Marina. He said he'll ask their Evo rep about automation and get back to me.
I think you do not need the hub. You can get the switch for about 22 on amazon.

So I have had my EVO 614Q about a week and I am liking it so far. @Jimrahbe - agree on the basket, so much easier. I also noticed that it does not get stuck like my Dolphin did behind my bar bench. I have a deck level bar top which overhangs and a built in bench seat. My Dolphin was attracted to that spot like mosquitos to a person. Finally cut a portion of PVC to block it off which is not the prettiest thing to look at. I saw the EVO go back there while I had the PVC pipe out and it got about 1ft deep in and backed out when it seemed to get stuck. Curious - I will remove it again soon to see how it does.

I do like the manual drive mode - while I rarely use it, it is much more responsive. A bit different to drive it but responsive to me.
alerts when complete
wifi of course - my dolphin was only BT.

I did have a time getting it to connect to my wifi. Signal was fine, even tried a secondary SSID that is running on an AP 10ft away and it didn't connect. Left it a few days and tried again and it finally worked. Was not a PWD issue.

Anyways, a recommend from me at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support