New build recommendations- South Texas

Building my first pool , but have been a TFP junkie for 9 years since my last home came with a pool. We are 65 and just retired.
We want to build a very similar volleyball pool for old people to play and hang out.

Looking for opinions on the new pool that the builder (AnthonySylvan) has suggested

To help you advise, here is our experiences and likes dislikes:
  1. We leveled our standard (with deep end) 1990 16x36 gunite to make it about 44" all the way across for volleyball - it was a great decision. Removed bottom drain in that process.
  2. Used Liquid chlorine
  3. Sand filter
  4. Used Solar Breeze- LOVED it. Except, it kept our pH constantly around 8 or more (due to aeration?)- always adding muriatic
  5. Ran filter 4 hours daily 365 - was adequate
  6. Kept Polaris 360 (return driven) in the pool 24/7 unless swimming.
  7. Installed Amazon (WYZM) LED color changing bulb in place of old incandescent
Now your advice/opinion please.
  1. Planning a 16x34 ( rectangular as before) ~16k gallons completely level bottom (44 inches as before), no drain required? Builder want 2 drains and some slope. He can't believe I want a level pool.
  2. Switching to SWG. Again he is against it. He wants Zodiac Fusion, so I would request Fusion Soft. Any particular recommendations on unit? I know I should size to double the capacity
  3. He has a 200sf cartridge spec'd out. Should go with at least a 300sf?
  4. Getting another Solar Breeze Ariel or a Betta SE
  5. Has Jandy 1.85 Variable speed. Thoughts?
  6. Cleaner -Polaris Alpha IQ specked. Thoughts?
  7. He spec'd (expensive?) Jandy LED light, I said put in traditional old receptacle so that I could put an the same LED WYZM that I had ($70)
Can't think of anything else, but all opinions are welcome. Thanks

Mark (now in Palacios Texas)

Good morning! :wave: I'll kick off the replies to help get this started.
- I think many more people are opting for a level sports-type pool. When you have people over, they want to play volleyball or something. Some just stand around a talk with a drink in their hand. It's hard to do that in the deep end. So unless you have a diving board or want to do cannonballs, the deep end doesn't get used as much IMO.
- Filter - go bigger if you can. Sure, the smaller one will work, but you should have less cleaning with the larger one.
- Polaris is fine if you don't mind the extra hardware (booster pump) and plumbing. Or just opt for a robot.
- If they won't add an SWG of your choice, I would ask they leave an adequate space in the return run after the filter in case you want to add one later yourself.
- Main drains aren't mandatory or needed. Personal choice and your call really.
- No automation correct? Only the VSP programming itself?
- Be mindful of the pool position on your property. Ideally you want the skimmer positioned to where the normal wind direction in your area will push surface debris to the skimmer, not away from it.
- Number of return jets? I would think 4 minimum, but maybe a couple more if possible?
- Any other return water stub-outs planned (i.e. water feature or something)?

Texas Splash-
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm really ignorant of the VSP issue so I'll have to do some research on that concerning the automation so that I can ask some intelligent questions about it.
There are four returns, and we discussed having the skimmer on the end where they wind blows, plus I think he's adding another skimmer.
There will be a swimout area in the middle, like a bench. Never had one. He won't do a slide for safety reasons, although we had one and really enjoyed it. We are trying to keep it simple to keep the cost low, so we probably will avoid the slide or any other features.
Our Polaris worked from the return lines, so it only worked when the pump was running, and I left it in unless we were swimming. This kept the pool clean with minimal interaction. I know that robots are probably the way to go now, I would like one that I could keep in in the SWG pool constantly like I did with the Polaris. Trying to research that now.
I appreciate all your input. Will keep you informed. Thanks.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Get what YOU want as you know it works for you and yours. You don't need a slope nor do you need a bottom drain. I would get two skimmers making sure they are not plumbed together just in case something goes wrong with on the other one will still work.

+1 on two skimmers, SWG, VSP and large filter. If you get a larger VSP they are more efficient at lower speeds so you can run low rpm 24/7 for continual chlorination with SWG and skimming. Mine runs 24/7 at 1000 rpm for <20$ a month in electricity. (Also get a 2x SWG minimum, 3x for Houston is even better).

Also +1 for a manual vacuum port if you are plumbing the pool on paper now. Always handy….even more when using robot just in case.

PS - isn’t the zodiac fusion a mineral system? Lots of threads on here about staying away from mineral. SWG in Houston is way to go

BDY-
Thanks for the input.
Yes, the FusionSoft has the mineral side, but I don't know if the PB has equal access to all brands. I know they carry the
Fusion, so I was going to go with their preferred brand (to save $?) and leave out the mineral unit (as I have seen, yes, many times on TFP).
I have asked the question and am awaiting their response. The FusionSoft is rated for 40k gallons so I should be good.
I had a vacuum before, but to keep it simple and cheap, I will use a garden hose and venturi type cleaner for big stuff/emergencies.
Good info on your filter experience.

I'm really ignorant of what flexibility the PB (AnthonySylvan) traditionally offers. That's one of the reasons for my post. I am not an expert, so I am looking to the TPF community to give me confidence in my decisions and choose my battles They do have 70 years in business, so they obviously know to a great extent what works and what doesn't. The rest of the "extent" is driven by familiarity and profit motive. No more opinion based on no real experience.

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.