New Build in TX

Jun 12, 2020
DFW
Hi all, we are close to finalizing the details for a new pool construction in DFW. I wanted to run some of the details by everyone here who have way more pool experience in order to get in front of any major red flags we may not be aware of. Attached are the details of the quote.
Pool size:
  • Pool and Spa: 495 SF / 108’ Per.
  • Dimensions: 36’ x 16’ Depth: 4' X 5' X 4'6" EST. Gallons 12,890

Equipment list (note some things have changed from the attached quote, this list is the most up-to-date):
  • Main circulation pump: Jandy Pro Series ePump 2.7hp variable speed: #VSSHP270DV2A
  • Water feature pump: Jandy Pro Series pump 2.2gpm: #VSSHP220DV2A
  • Polaris quattro robotic pool sweep : F4TH
  • Polaris booster pump: PB4SQ
  • Jandy CL580 filter: #CL580
  • Jandy Jxi 400K BTU gas heater: JXI400NK
  • Polaris 1.5 HP air blower: PSB215
  • 12 W LED color pool/spa lights : JLU4C12W100
  • Pool control: iAquaLink automation kit : RS-PS6
    • Sub panel: 6614-LD
    • iAquaLink: 1Q30-A
Obviously the main thing missing from the list is the chlorination method. Being in Texas our pool builder is very strongly pushing to not do SWCG, while research online from actual owners seems to strongly recommend SWCG. Their reasons are corrosion of coping and decking (we are thinking sandblasted marble), and corrosion of a metal (powder coated steel) shade structure we are planning on having over part of the pool. I've researched a bunch and know most of the arguments here that the levels of salt is very minimal, normal liquid chlorine pools have salt too, a not properly balanced pool causes corrosion not salt, etc.

So I am currently trying to push for SWCG, but no part number yet. Is there a Jandy SWCG you guys would recommend? I am concerned about corrosion, especially on the decking and metal structure since they aren't cheap, but have no first hand experience with it happening so I am relying on the perceptions of others (pool builders and service people who say SWCG is going to corrode everything, and owners who say they would never go back).

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Attachments

• quote-pg1.jpg
    quote-pg1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 28
  • quote-pg2.jpg
    quote-pg2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 28
I'm pro SWG and have seen 0 corrosion or deterioration in our pool which is going on 4 years old.

Overall your build looks pretty good and I really like the depths as many start out too shallow. The one thing that jumped out at me was the cleaner.
They call it a "robotic pool cleaner" but it is still a pressure side cleaner (older technology) that requires a separate booster pump. Polaris makes some really nice real robotic pool cleaners that run off of electricity and would eliminate the need and cost for a booster pump. I would swap out the current cleaner setup and booster pump with a real robotic cleaner.

I'm pro SWG and have seen 0 corrosion or deterioration in our pool which is going on 4 years old.

Overall your build looks pretty good and I really like the depths as many start out too shallow. The one thing that jumped out at me was the cleaner.
They call it a "robotic pool cleaner" but it is still a pressure side cleaner (older technology) that requires a separate booster pump. Polaris makes some really nice real robotic pool cleaners that run off of electricity and would eliminate the need and cost for a booster pump. I would swap out the current cleaner setup and booster pump with a real robotic cleaner.
Thanks for the feedback! I had been looking at the electric robots and for some reason was planning on just taking whatever the builder provides for that and buying my own later without asking if they could switch it. I had been mostly concerned with researching the other equipment I couldn't easily replace. I'll definitely see if they can switch it out. Paying for a booster pump I may not ever use doesn't make sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.