New build Pool pump advice...is it good enough?

May 1, 2018
Lake Charles, LA
So, I didn't find this forum until after we signed our contract. After reading so much info on this site, it has me wondering if the pump included in our package will be good enough. I asked about VS pump, and our PB doesn't think it would be worth the money since we have no spa or water feature. We will have 18x29x35 lagoon 3-8ft deep. The pump included is Pentair Superflo single speed. We also have the Pentair Intelliclor SWG. Don't even know which one, but I'm assuming he would be using one big enough. These are all things we didn't know to ask and models aren't specified on the contract. Newbies. Our PB is the most highly recommended in our area with 25+ years experience, even by other pool colleagues who build other types of pools (kind of weird, but they each specialize in one kind of pool in our area), so I'm assuming he knows what he's doing. So, will the single speed be plenty with just the swg? Or she we insist on something bigger? We start 3wks from tomorrow.

Since nothing is started, there should be time to change things.

The upgrade from a single speed pump to a 2-speed pump should only be a $2-300 I would think and you can save significant amounts of power by running on low speed most of the time. I would at LEAST do that if not just get the SuperFlo VS which might be the same size as what they quoted you.

What will you have for a cleaner? Hopefully not a pressure cleaner. Ideally not a suction cleaner and instead I would suggest an electric robot which would also reduce the pumping requirements.

Since nothing is started, there should be time to change things.

The upgrade from a single speed pump to a 2-speed pump should only be a $2-300 I would think and you can save significant amounts of power by running on low speed most of the time. I would at LEAST do that if not just get the SuperFlo VS which might be the same size as what they quoted you.

What will you have for a cleaner? Hopefully not a pressure cleaner. Ideally not a suction cleaner and instead I would suggest an electric robot which would also reduce the pumping requirements.

We chose the Pentair Prowler robot cleaner. We definitely wanted robot, and since we were going with 2 other Pentair products, it extended our warranty to 3yrs for all three, so we chose the Prowler over the other brands.

Check your utility for rebates on pool pumps as they can be substantial. Mine gives $400 for a variable speed pump. I would also clarify what SWCG you are getting. It has been my experience that the PB's that have been in business longest are typically the ones that stopped learning the longest ago. Is he still selling 25 year old technology? No pool should have anything but a VS pump.

I asked about VS pump, and our PB doesn't think it would be worth the money since we have no spa or water feature.

That's an odd perspective. We replaced our very old single-speed with an Intelliflo VS and it was by far the best improvement we've made on the pool (no spa or water features). We run the pump longer but at lower speeds. It's whisper quiet and maintains enough flow to satisfy our heater. And our electric bill is lower (plus our local utility gave us a $275 rebate for going to VS).

That's an odd perspective. We replaced our very old single-speed with an Intelliflo VS and it was by far the best improvement we've made on the pool (no spa or water features). We run the pump longer but at lower speeds. It's whisper quiet and maintains enough flow to satisfy our heater. And our electric bill is lower (plus our local utility gave us a $275 rebate for going to VS).

What is the cost difference between the single and vs? I honestly don't know why he wants to stick to single speed. We don't really know much about it except for what we have read here and then going back and forth with the lady in the office at the pool place.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, according to Pentair, their single speed pump is energy star efficient.

Check your utility for rebates on pool pumps as they can be substantial. Mine gives $400 for a variable speed pump. I would also clarify what SWCG you are getting. It has been my experience that the PB's that have been in business longest are typically the ones that stopped learning the longest ago. Is he still selling 25 year old technology? No pool should have anything but a VS pump.

Intelliclor40 and Pentair Superflo

Intelliclor40 and Pentair Superflo

Your pool sounds pretty large. How many gallons do you think it is?

A for instance. If it is 30000 gallons, then your pump and SWCG will need to run about 18 hours per day in the summer to create the chlorine you need. So a single speed pump will use up to 10X the electricity a VS pump will use during those 18 hours.

Something to think about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On a new pool, the cost differential between a single speed pump and one of the smaller vs pumps is negligible and doesn't make sense to me why you would not have that upgrade. I also agree that you should check the volume of your pool. If it is more than 20 to 25 thousand gallons, then I would recommend the ic60 swg

In my opinion, single speed pumps need to be discontinued.

I recommend that you get Easytouch with screenlogic an Intelliflo vs pump and an IC60.

The vs pump won't cost the builder much more than the single speed pump. Installation should be the same.

Besides the cost to run the pump, the noise difference is a huge factor. You don't want to have a loud single speed pump.

LOL ... James spending other peoples money :p

I agree that is likely the "best" setup, although likely a few $1000 upgrade from what has been posted.

Yeah, we aren't interested in another few $1,000 more! LOL! We are not interested in the bells and whistles of automation right now. We just want to make sure we have an efficient set up. Is the cost of the IC60 and Superflo VS 1,000's more??? That might be a deal breaker.

After a quick look, the upgrade from IC40 to IC60 should be about $200 and the upgrade to Superflo VS from a Superflo 1.5HP single speed should be about $250. Not counting any markup they may apply.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a note: In your current contract, there is likely a timer for the single speed pump. If you go to the VS pump, it will have a timer built into it. BUT, you likely need to keep the external timer to be able to turn the SWG on and off.

I just realized I didn't mention above that we will have a heat pump as well. I'm sure that should have been disclosed. Sorry! We live in Louisiana, and it is hot or warm most of the time. We plan on using it just to extend our swim season, although, with 70 and 80 temps during the winter much of the time, I guess we could technically use it then also...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.