New and Just Starting

20150624_070516.jpg

That's from this morning. Filter is actually getting dirty again which is good. Visibility is better I can now clearly see the eyeball. Color pretty much looks the same but I guess some progress is better than no progress.

I read on here that the phosphates aren't a problem once the slam is completed. The phosphate removers can also plug up the filter. I'll let the experts chime in on the copper & iron. My guess is it's probably no problem at low levels. I wonder if you can back off on the chlorine a bit until the filter has a chance to clear it up. I wish we lived closer I'd bring over my DE filter. I'd love to see what would happen with two filters running for several hours!

Yeah with the site down it was taking forever to research. I got a Cu Lator gonna see in 4 days if it works.

Update for this morning though. Visibility is getting better and better everyday. It's now a blueish green. Sand filter is pumping out the most gunk I've seen yet. Guess it's a matter of waiting for the sand filter to do its job. Refills for the kit should be here today so I can quit dumping 2 gallons a day to make sure I don't drop below recommend FC.

Ok, so water is now blue!!!!!!

FC dropped got it back up and CC is at 1.0 now. May have been off on count of my drops daughter was bugging me asking if she could swim yet. Finally got my refills in so I will be testing again in about 2 hours. So once my CC is at .5 can I floc it? I know you guys dont recommend it, but is there any drawbacks besides the price? Sand filter is doing its job, but slowly. What I understand is floc will speed it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will try again this weekend if it isnt cleared up. But I used like a teaspoon and it pressured up within 5 minutes. Making great progress now just tested water for the last time tonight:

FC: 21.5
CC: .5 (was barely pink so I called it .5 instead of 0)
pH: 7.2 (I know not accurate)
TA: 160
CH: 80
CYA: 30

Now this is whats weird when I added CYA last week it was at 45. Now the dot was barely visible at all so I called it 30. Can it just go down like that?

CYA shouldn't just drop, but like the card says in the Taylor Test Kit, testing CYA is a bit subjective. Thing about CYA is that once it's in, it's not easy to get out, so better to err on a lower figure until your water is in good shape.

Can you post a picture?

Waiting for this mornings results!

Try taking a sheet of newspaper, reach out as far as you can & lay it on the surface of the water. As soon as the paper gets soaked pull it towards you as you lift it out of the water. Try it 4 or 5 times with a new sheet of paper each time. Hopefully it'll remove whatever is causing the foaming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.