Need some help upgrading iAquaLink 1.0 (iQ900)

uscpsycho

Dec 19, 2023
Los Angeles
Hello! I'm a new member and first time poster. I need some help upgrading equipment.

My dad has an iAquaLink 1.0 that is having tons of wi-fi issues. There are a lot of things I can do to improve that, but if I want to change the wifi settings of the device I have to plug a computer in via USB and I don't want to deal with that.

I'd like to upgrade him to iAquaLink 2.0 or 3.0 so that I can manage the wi-fi settings wirelessly. What is the upgrade process like? Is it simply a matter of removing the existing 1.0 and replacing it with the new one? Will the wiring be the same so that installing the new one is simply a matter of connecting everything the exact same way? I have found very little info about the version 1.0 because it is so old.

Will the control center need to be paired with the new iAquaLink before accepting instructions from it?

I assume the iAquaLink is simply a wi-fi bridge and that everything related to pool control is stored in the AquaLink control center, and nothing will be lost by replacing the iAquaLink? Is that correct?

Thanks!

What Rev level is the Aqualink system?

If you have the Aqualink All-Button Panel then MENU -> SYSTEM SETUP(press ENTER) -> DIAGNOSTICS(press ENTER)

If you have the Aqualink OneTouch Panel then MENU/SELECT(press SELECT) -> SELECT (for HELP) -> DIAGNOSTICS (press SELECT).

Rev R is needed for Internet control of Jandy Aqualink system via smartphone or web.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Have a read through Jandy Aqualink RS - Further Reading

Thank you for that link! It will make a great resource for me to reference in the future, but as far as I can tell it doesn't answer any of the specific questions I have about upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0/3.0:

Are the new devices physically wired the same way, which would make it a very simple replacement?

Does the control center need to be paired with the new iAquaLink before it will respond to it? I don't think it does but would like confirmation.

Will replacing the iAquaLink require any reprogramming? Or is everything stored in the control center so everything will be exactly the same once the new iAquaLink is installed? I believe no reprogramming is needed but would like confirmation.

I did find the part about compatibility very useful. Apparently iAquaLink 2.0 and 3.0 aren't compatible with all versions of the AquaLink RS. iAquaLink 2.0 requires RS Rev R & newer and 3.0 requires RS Rev QQQ & older. That sounds like 3.0 would work with any older RS devices, but the 2.0 won't. Correct? How do I find out what versions my dad has? Will I be able to see that in the iAquaLink app or do I need to physically check it to see the version?

What Rev level is the Aqualink system?

If you have the Aqualink All-Button Panel then MENU -> SYSTEM SETUP(press ENTER) -> DIAGNOSTICS(press ENTER)

If you have the Aqualink OneTouch Panel then MENU/SELECT(press SELECT) -> SELECT (for HELP) -> DIAGNOSTICS (press SELECT).

See page 13 in the Jandy iAqualink Product Guide.

Rev R is needed for Internet control of Jandy Aqualink system via smartphone or web.

The link you provided appears to be broken.

He already has smartphone control with the iAquaLink iQ900 so I assume that means he has Rev R?

Are the new devices physically wired the same way, which would make it a very simple replacement?

How is the iAqualink 1.0 connected?

Does the control center need to be paired with the new iAquaLink before it will respond to it? I don't think it does but would like confirmation.

Nothing needs to be "paired" with an iAqualink antenna.

Will replacing the iAquaLink require any reprogramming?

No. The antenna system just provides the network connectivity.

Or is everything stored in the control center so everything will be exactly the same once the new iAquaLink is installed? I believe no reprogramming is needed but would like confirmation.

Correct.

I did find the part about compatibility very useful. Apparently iAquaLink 2.0 and 3.0 aren't compatible with all versions of the AquaLink RS. iAquaLink 2.0 requires RS Rev R & newer and 3.0 requires RS Rev QQQ & older. That sounds like 3.0 would work with any older RS devices, but the 2.0 won't. Correct? How do I find out what versions my dad has? Will I be able to see that in the iAquaLink app or do I need to physically check it to see the version?
I have never heard of Rev QQQ.

Any system that works with iAqualink 2.0 will work with 3.0.

The link you provided appears to be broken.

Blame it on Jandy tinkering with their website without creating redirects.

He already has smartphone control with the iAquaLink iQ900 so I assume that means he has Rev R?

The IQ900 manual https://cdn.fluidrausa.com/-/media/...?rev=757cbf88f20a48aeb23f26036754202b?force=1 says:

1703019152839.png

You should be able to connect the 2.0 or 3.0 antenna, set it to connect to the WiFi, and be good to go.

Reactions: uscpsycho
Thanks for the info guys! It sounds like replacement is about as simple and straightforward at it can be. I just need to unplug the old 1.0 from the control center and plug in the new 3.0. And that's all there is to it, other than setting up the wifi.

I can see how my questions seemed super rudimentary to someone who is familiar with the system.