Need some CYA & FC, thinking about buying pucks or granules

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi Everyone - Been using the TFP method for years and I know that pucks and granules are not recommended. However by me, liquid chlorine is over $6 a gallon. I can get a nice sale on some trichlor and I need FC and I need CYA.

Would you guys recommend using the trichlor pucks and a chlorine floater OR using chlorine granules with the sock method.

I did the pool math and 1 puck adds about 5.5 FC and 3 CYA which is good for me.

I couldn't figure out the granules amount on pool math, is it the same as the trichlor pucks just a different method?

Once my CYA hits 60 I was going to stop and go back to liquid chlorine.

Thank you for any advice and feedback as I have never used pucks/granular chlorine!!

Would you recommend pucks in a floater or granules with the sock method.
Pre-stabilized products usually just get broadcast spread in the deep end and any residual stuff brushed around. Of course tabs/pucks go in a floater if you don't have an inline feeder at the equipment pad. We use the sock method to pre-soak granule stabilizer for about 30 minutes before squeezing it all out. As for pucks specifically, most are of a trichlor/dichlor mixture. The ingredients label on the bucket should specify.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.