Can I add powdered stabilizer through inline feeder?

VTPooler

Jul 30, 2020
Vermont
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFPers.

I have an in-line chlorine feeder that I use at the beginning of the season for trichlor application to pool until my CYA levels reach the 35-40 range. I am out of trichlor pucks, but have powdered stabilizer that I want to use to get my CYA levels up.

Any issues using the sock method inside of my inline feeder to do this? I don’t want to do it at the skimmer and would prefer to not have the sock hanging into the pool over the return.

Thanks,
Mike

And others have reported socks turning to rocks when the CYA is confined to a place without full water flow. When coming to TFP with questions, it is best to follow TFP solutions. :)

Thanks for the help, all.
I went out to check on the sock last night and it was dissolving pretty quickly since I had my pump on pretty high. Not sure if it was supposed to be dispensed so quickly, but so far so good on the readings. cya is 41. ph/ta was lowered, which I just added some carbonate to bring up. I’d read that it might take a while to fully circulate for an accurate cya reading, but my pool is small and with the pump on higher through the night, it’s already circulated through a few times, so I think I should be good.
Thanks again for the help!

I went out to check on the sock last night and it was dissolving pretty quickly
You are squeezing it correct? Not just leaving it there? Once the sock has had about 30 min to soak, you should be able to squeeze all the stabilizer out. I added about 3 lbs a couple days ago. I filled a tube sock, dropped it in the skimmer for 30 min to soak, then started squeezing and had it all out of the sock in about 5 minutes.

Hello. I didn’t really need to squeeze it. The power from the jet looked to get it all out in a few hours. Didn’t see any residue on the floor by the jet, so it seems that it did disperse as planned. I’ll take some readings a little later and report back on the levels.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Hello, all. Remembered I mentioned I’d post back some numbers here…

I had overshot my CYA target with the stabilizer addition, but some water addition (rain + water added after fixing what was hopefully the only source of a slow leak) has the CYA settled in at 40.
Ph and ta dropped a bit from 7.5 and 80 to 7.3 and 60, but the water is still looking very good either way.

Have another question about pricing I’m seeing on 12.5 % chlorine online, but will post that in a separate thread.

Thanks again for your help, all.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.