Need help with faulty Hayward Multi Port Valve (I think)

It looks to me like your leak is coming from this plug.

The MPV has pump connections on both sides and the unused connection has a plug glued into it.

I'd like to see what @1poolman1 thinks about a repair.

IHayward SP-740 Leak.JPG

Reactions: Jay L
It looks to me like your leak is coming from this plug.

The MPV has pump connections on both sides and the unused connection has a plug glued into it.

I'd like to see what @1poolman1 thinks about a repair.

View attachment 525738
That leak is at the plug in the optional inlet port. The pump could have been on either side of the filter. It might be possible to carefully pry it out and re-glue or a coating of PlastAid all around that seam might seal it.

I typically put 3-4 of the large tabs in the chlorinator and then broadcast 1 pound of shock on the surface weekly.
Even with the check valve at the inlet, that tab feeder is probably allowing the highly- damaging "soup" that forms with the pump off to flow backwards into the MPV. Those valves regularly fail and you do not know until the damage is done. May have been what caused the original problem.
If you are going use tablets, it is better to put them in a floating dispenser.

That leak is at the plug in the optional inlet port. The pump could have been on either side of the filter. It might be possible to carefully pry it out and re-glue or a coating of PlastAid all around that seam might seal it.
Thank you @1poolman1 and @ajw22 ! I just ordered the Plast Aid on Amazon, as it's a lot cheaper than replacing the whole valve. I appreciate y'alls assistance.

Thanks @ajw22 and @1poolman1 . The PlastAid worked perfectly at sealing the leak. It save me a bunch of money on replacing the MPV. That stuff is great to have for other repairs.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.