Need help with Algae, pool recently drained 40% and refilled with high TA well water.

Will49766

May 31, 2023
Michigan
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am trying to learn more about my pool chemistry and how to maintain it. I am barely understanding at this point! We installed the above ground, 24ft round/52in, vinyl pool in 2020 and have been using Leslie's testing to maintain it. Like everyone else, I have found this experience to be extremely expensive and would like to try TFP's methods to see if I can save some hard earned cash. This year I started with purchasing the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit not really knowing if that was the correct kit. Turns out I am on the right track... I would have ordered the other recommended kit if I would have read more of these articles first. The K-2006 kit at least gives me a start. So for the last two years Leslie's kept showing that my CYA levels were sky high (130), but nobody explained what was causing this. Turns out I was causing it by using WAY too many pucks, like 5 in the floater. I have since removed the pucks entirely and drained the pool about 40% and refilled it. Since refilling, my CYA is registering 55, (where I loose site of the black dot), so I am rounding it up to 60. My initial TA reading was 250, which is normal for our well water. I have been adding muriatic acid for the last 10 days trying to get it down to a reasonable level. It is currently at 120. After each treatment of MA, my PH falls to 7.0-7.2, but bounces back to around 7.4 by the next day. Since refilling the water is crystal clear but I have a small amount of algae on the walls, not much. Here is my readings as of today:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: about 300
CYA: 60

I have been using Cal-Hypo and have about 15 lbs left (currently cal-hypo through Leslie's is $225/25 lbs) I had my wife purchase 6 gallons of pool bleach 12% from Menards at $4.99/gal. Will this be enough for a slam? I believe I can save money by using the Menards liquid pool bleach after using up the cal-hypo, but I am going to use the liquid bleach for the slam. A friend from work, who is a pool pro would like me to stick with the Cal-hypo, and use some copper algaecide to take care of the algae, but I really want to give a TFP slam a try for financial reasons. I am planning on starting a slam Friday after work. Can someone please help me through this process? My friend is telling me to use cal-hypo and raise the chlorine to 30ppm. The Pool Math app is telling me I can do a Slam taking my FC to 24 ppm using bleach 12% 2.6 jugs worth. Will 6 jugs be enough for this process or do you think I will need more? If I start this Friday night, how many days do I keep the FC level high, since my CC is already reading practically zero?

Hopefully I explained this properly. I trust my work friend, but I am tired of throwing money at this swimming pool. Hoping the TFP methods will be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the help!

Will

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. Read the article. With a CYA of 60, your SLAM FC level will be 24 ppm. You will likely need more liquid chlorine, but what you have should get you through a couple days.
You maintain the SLAM (M stands for Maintain) until you pass the three criteria shown in the SLAM article.
Most SLAM process takes somewhere between 5 and 14 days, depending on how diligent you are, how completely you have found all the algae hiding places.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Hello everyone,

I finished my Slam this morning. I used a total of 10 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine. For a total of about $50. I kept the FC little higher than the app called out because I wasn't here all day every day to monitor it. Instead of shooting for 24ppm, I dosed it for 30ppm. I would have possibly been done Sunday night if I hadn't ran out of the R-0871 reagent. I had ordered a 2oz refill from Amazon with a Sunday delivery but it didn't arrive until Monday, so I kept up the slam until this morning. I performed the OCLT last night into this morning and it passed with no loss in ppm. I was a little worried because I had lost enough water through evaporation that required a slight fill adjustment. I remeasured CYA today once the FC level dropped to 13 and my CYA is now reading 30ppm. I went ahead and added one Tri-Chlor puck for now. Will this drive my CYA up too far?

Anyways, I am now a TFP convert. I am going to try to talk my work buddy into using this method. And... Holy Cow!!! Our pool hasn't ever looked this clean ever! I am going to keep an eye on the FC now and keep it adjusted to the higher suggested level. Does anyone know how to get the liner above the water level looking as clean as below the water level? The pool looks bluer than ever!

I appreciate all the help!

Will

Will this drive my CYA up too far?
At some point. Every puck you use will raise FC by 4.1 and raise CYA by 2.5. After 8 pucks, you will be at CYA 60.

I would convert to liquid chlorine or get a salt water chlorine generator.
Anyways, I am now a TFP convert. I am going to try to talk my work buddy into using this method. And... Holy Cow!!! Our pool hasn't ever looked this clean ever! I am going to keep an eye on the FC now and keep it adjusted to the higher suggested level. Does anyone know how to get the liner above the water level looking as clean as below the water level? The pool looks bluer than ever!

I appreciate all the help!
If you found value..become a supporter!

Reactions: wireform
Welcome to the forum (and that was nice work on your SLAM)

1. Leave your CH alone. Vinyl liner pools don't need much CH if at all......you have plenty
2. You don't need the copper algaecide. It can potentially stain your pool but more iomportantly, chlorine is all you need to keep you pool sanitary and algae free.
3. Cal hypo adds a good bit of calcium and we have already determined you don't need it anyway. Use up what you got but don't buy more.

Good testing and frequent testing at first is paramount. Keep chlorine in your pool and brush and vacuum every 2-3 days.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I plan on using up the Cal-Hypo this season and then plan on only using liquid chlorine after that. I might have enough chlorine to get me through this year that way. As far as the pucks go, I am starting with two and monitoring from there. I had to order some more reagent for that. I ordered a 16 oz bottle this time. And no, I’m not really concerned with CH.

I have learned a lot the past few weeks of dealing with our pool. It was a constant and expensive struggle dealing with it though Leslie’s the previous two years. Wish I had found this site sooner! No more dealing with Leslie's if I don't need to.

Thanks again.

Will

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No more dealing with Leslie's if I don't need to.
Post up your experience....

If you found value, you might consider becoming a supporter...

Reactions: Will49766
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.