Need help bringing an old pool back to life

I think I'll just end up getting the Jandy 3-Port valve. I just rather spend an extra $40 on a valve and avoid replumbing in the future. Another reason is if I'm not in town, I'd like to make it as easy as possible for family members to operate the system.

Do you guys know if you can play with the 3-port valve while the system is running or does the pump need to be off?

While on the topic, is it possible to prevent one port from being closed? For example, on the return side just after the SWCG there is a 3-port that can direct flow to water feature or return jets. If by mistake the 3-port blocks the incoming flow from the SWCG it could be disaster, correct? I can already foresee myself late one night going over to turn on the water feature and sliding the 3 port to the wrong side and cursing. Drinks may or may not be involved...

I have ball valves on my returns. I wish I now had put the jandys on there. At times, I like to play around a little bit with the water currents just because I like to see the water in the pool moving. The ball valves even though functional, just arent all that great. It takes 2 hands to move them and it dont take long for them to get stuck. I plan on replacing them with Jandys but havent got around to it yet. I have a 3 way Jandy on my waste line and believe me, that sucker is NICE. well worth the money IMO. And on top of that, I think the Jandy valves just look way cool!

If you use ball valves, maybe put unions on either side of them? Then you can replace the valve easily if it gets stuck.

You can turn with pump running.
Most (all? ) have stops preventing closing the middle port without modification to the valve.

That's good to know! I'll look more into it as I had planned to use a side port for the incoming flow on the waste/bypass, I would want that middle port port closed most of the time but prevent the port from pump to be blocked. I'll research that or just wait to receive the valve's later today and read the manual.

Forgot to post some photos of the pipe delivery the other day! Not much to show but I figured it was time for some eye candy...

photo12_zps5a66012d.jpg

2" BOE Schedule 40 in 20' lengths

photo21_zps875f358d.jpg

PVC elbow galore!

Unfortunately this weekend was not very productive when it came to pool work. Some pool items didn't arrive on time so I decided to work on other things around the house, hopefully this week/weekend I'll be able to focus 100% of my attention on the pool.

Well this brings me to another question I have for you all, pool automation/control system. I never really considered it as I have such a simple pool but I looked into it and the price seems reasonable for a simple system.

First off, I am not tied to any brand or pump at the moment. I was planning on getting on the Pentair bandwagon and getting the Pentair CCP 320 filter and the IC40 SWCG. If I do stick with it the EasyTouch seems like a great deal.

Amazon currently has the EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 for $1,109. This "kit" already includes the intellichlor transformer and IC40 cell which is $785 separately. I was going to get an intermatic panel that was going to cost about $150. If you add that all up the difference to get the EasyTouch system is just $224. Seems like a no brainer to me but wanted to get more opinions and advice here. I would also like to control the system with my iPhone so I'm assuming I would have to also get the ScreenLogic 2 adaptor if I went with the EasyTouch.

Here's what I would like to control/automate from the EasyTouch panel and iPhone:

- Pump On/Off (I'm assuming SWCG would be on/off as well)
- Pump RPMs
- Pool lights
- Valve for waterfeature (3-port Jandy)
- Valve for suction-side vacuum (3-port Jandy)

Here's what I had in mind if I went with Pentair:

- EasyTouch 4 control system
- 1HP Superflo VS or 2-Speed
- CCP 320 Cartridge Filter
- IC40 SWCG
- Intellibrite or Savi Melody P-Series LED lights
- ScreenLogic 2 (or alternative?)

Again, I'm not committed to Pentair so if Hayward has something that would be better and/or more cost effective I would love to hear about it!

One thing to keep in mind, and Im sure you prolly know this, but if you have pentair equipment, stick with pentair controller, and same goes for hayward. I dont know much about auto control, but I know there will be communication issues if crossing brands.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just want to point out that the small VS pumps (Superflo, Maxflo, etc) do not integrate into the automation systems at all. If you want to have speed control you will either need to get the bigger VS pumps, or any 2-speed pump (which will use 2 relays).

I too have the Hayward Prologic. One other note is that the Hayward replacement SWG cells are a good bit cheaper than the Pentairs.

The last week was spent battling myself on whether to keep it simple and cheaper with a 2-speed/small VS pump and timer or go big and get the EasyTouch with 2-speed/Intelliflo.

I decided that for the price difference, which turned out to be around $200, it was worth getting the EasyTouch. The next decision was what pump to get. I called Pentair this morning to confirm a few things and decided I'm going with the Intelliflo VS.

My choices were extreme towards the end. Either go all in with the EasyTouch and Intelliflo or go simple with a timer and 2-speed pump. Lots of pros and cons to each but in the end, here are my main reasons to go EasyTouch + Intelliflo:

1. Seamless integration between EasyTouch and Intelliflo.
2. No extra relays or complicated wiring (which saves on electrical installation costs).
3. Lower monthly electric bill.
4. According to the Pentair rep, the Intelliflo has a no flow pump shut-off feature (which comes in handy as I will be closing off the main drain).
5. It will be nice to control everything or almost everything from the panel or iPhone.
6. I could monitor the pool remotely while on vacation and depend less on favors to check on the pool (especially if I get the IntelliChem in the future).
7. I love technology and this is a toy for me. I'm okay paying a reasonable premium for this. Lord knows I'm frugal with almost everything else.

Now, the cons of this setup:

1. Overkill for a 14K gallon pool with no attached spa.
2. It will be an extra $500-600 initially. That doesn't include actuators or the ScreenLogic 2 so the final upgrade price will likely be close to $1K.
3. Not sure how much I will actually use the automation so it could be "wasted" money.
4. More complex which could mean more maintenance.

With that decision out of the way, I can relax and maybe have a rum and coke as a reward. Phew!

In other news, I've been slowly working on the pool itself. I cut into the existing concrete deck slab and made the cutout for the new style skimmer. I also started running the plumbing. It's been very hot and humid here so I decided to work mostly in the evenings. This has slowed progress down but at least I don't feel like an egyptian slave anymore. I'll be posting photos soon.

I also decided not to plumb an equalizer line for the skimmer since feedback from most of the pool owners I know in the area have never had the water level go below the skimmer (they also don't have autofills). In addition, knowing the Intelliflo has a safety feature if there is no flow makes me comfortable enough to not run the equalizer line.

With the SWG it will also be nice to have it automated. Nice to be able to change the percent or turn on/off or turn on super chlorinate at the push of a remote button. I love our Hayward automation on our fairly similar pool (no spa, 2-speed pump and SWG).

You will also be able to wire in any area lights (120V or 12V) which is a nice bonus. Then also be able to adjust the timers easily for those as the hours of sunlight change during the year.

Glad we went with automation on our simple pool. Good choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.