Need filter and pump advice

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
I've been a Pentair guy for the last 10 years or so. However, I've had to replace two Pentair Sand Dollar filters in the last 3 years due to pinhole leaks that developed at the seam. Because Pentair seems to have only a 60-90 warranty if you install it yourself, neither was covered under warranty. Needless to say, I'm considering Hayward or other vendors - if for no other reason than warranty. I'm also considering replacing replacing my single speed 1.5 HP pump with a two or variable speed pump to save on energy. I've heard good things about variable speed, but also heard they can be problematic and that two speed is the way to go for the money.

What is the best manufacturer for quality products and warranty? What sand filter should I consider? Should I go with Hayward, another company, or stick with Pentair again? Should I go with two speed or variable speed pump? I would appreciate any advice!

Two speed pump will save you significantly on electrical costs when running in low. If you don't intend to install automation to control your pump then a 2 speed pump is all you need.

What is your daily pump run time?

Can't tell you what to do about your filter problems. I haven't seen reports here of those problems with the Pentair sand filters. I think filters are pretty much a commodity and any brand will do the job.

What would be your filter pressure?

Up until last year, was running the pump 24x7. Last year, I tried running about 10 hours a day - which did ok but made the pool a little cloudy. I would rather run at low speed 24x7. Based on my calculations, the current configuration should change the water every 6-8 hours. Normal filter pressure is between 20-30 psi.

I want to like the Pentair filters, my first one lasted almost 8 years. However, the next two died under 1 year each - neither covered by warranty. Not really anxious to repeat that expense every year, so thought I might try Hayward or another brand this time.

Pool water turnover is a meaningless myth. Read Determine Pump Run Time

If your pool is cloudy then you have a chemistry problem, not a filtering problem. You need to run an IC40 for around 12 hours a day at 100% output for your pool volume. What % do you have the IC40 set to?

I think 30 PSI is too high for normal filter pressure on a sand filter. If your normal filter pressure is 20 PSI you should be cleaning the filter when it rises 20% to 24 PSI.

My guess is your filter problems may be caused by running it at too high pressures.

I believe my water was cloudy because the chlorine level was dropping too low as the result of running the pump only 10-12 hours per day. If I recall correctly, I was running the SWG at 80% during that time. Normally, when I run the pump/SWG 24x7, the SWG is set to 20-40% - depending on temparature.

I've not done anything different for all these filters, based on pool company recommendation. That was, clean filter ran about 20psi and they told me to backwash when it got near 30psi. I normally backwash around 27psi.

I guess the bottom line is, my filter needs to be replaced this year and I would like to consider replacing the pump with a more efficient model. I'm not convinced either are sized correctly for my pool because the pool company who installed it is now out of business (hmm....). I'm currently running a Pentair 1.5hp single speed pump with Pentair SD80 sand filter. Based on current pressures and gallons in the pool, I'm looking for recommendations. I would like to do this myself to keep costs down so I would also like to get the best warranty possible, due to prior issues. The only reason I mentioned Hayward is they seem to have a 1 yr warranty if I install it versus Pentair which only seems to have 60 days to 1 year if I install it. On the other hand, if Hayward service is lousy - guess warranty doesn't really matter.

I would appreciate any help you can provide on recommendations: sizing of filter and pump, two speed vs variable, filter and pump models, Hayward vs Pentair.

My suggestion would be to replace the motor on your pump with a 2 speed motor that matches your pump, impeller, etc. Then go to a cartridge filter, the biggest you can fit on your pad. Pentair would be a CCP520. That way you should be able to clean the filters once each season. For exact motor advice, call Inyopools and see what they recommend to mate up with your pump.

I second a two speed motor. The cost difference is SIGNIFICANT. When I run mine on low (pretty much 24/7) it keeps the pool darn clean and it uses about 8 KwH a day as opposed to the high speed that uses about 25 KwH a day if I use it for *only* 12 hours. Also, a two speed pump is not as susceptible to power fluctuations/etc. that plague variable speed pumps.

Also, although I am the second owner of this pool, all the equipment was installed in 2007 and is all Hayward...and it all works without issue. As far as I can tell, none of the major components have been replaced since it was installed 12 years ago...which as far as I am concerned is a pretty good run. As a matter of fact, I fired up the NG heater last week and it worked flawlessly after not being used for several seasons.

I second the recommendation for Inyo pools. I needed assistance getting the two speeds working on my motor and they were of great assistance. I even ordered a "spare" pump/motor from them that I will install when I get a few hours (I am going to use the currently installed pump/motor as a spare)...they were very helpful.

I'm going to replace my old pump, (or just the pump motor) and have the same question; 2 speed or VS? I'll start a separate thread since my situation is a little different than yours, but I want to respond to the filter issue.

I also had problems with Pentair Sand Dollar filters. When the second one split on the seam last year, I talked Pentair customer support about a replacement, and let him know I wasn't very happy about installing my third filter in just 10 years (the first two lasted about 5 years each). He told me they were having problems sourcing a reliable tank for the Sand Dollar, and recommended I switch to the Tagelus sand filter, which he said would last 15-20 years, or longer. I'm only one year in, so I can't report on longevity yet, but thought I'd pass that along.

Did you install that filter yourself? Is the warranty any better than any other Pentair product for those who install themselves? I'm just not sure I want to send more money to Pentair if their products aren't any better than any other vendor and their warranties favor installation by "pool experts".

Yes, I did install it myself. The Tagelus was set up very similar, and just a little larger than the Sand Dollar filter, but fit in the same footprint. I'm not sure about the warranty, but I don't remember any mention of a difference, and they new I was installing it myself. I think the main difference is the Tagelus has a one piece fiberglass tank with no seams.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.