Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My signature has the current details. As soon as I track down and fix my equipment pad's bonding issue (been watching a lot of Mike Holt!), I'm planning a substantial upgrade/update to our pool's equipment. After reading lots of posts and getting help on other threads, here's the plan:

1. Pentair Intelliflo3 VSF (011075)
2. Pentair Intellicenter i5P
3. Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG
4. Pentair Intelliph (521377)
5. Pentair Ultratemp 140 H/C (460958)

Planning to buy from Polytec and get a local licensed installer. Anything I should consider that I haven't? Anything that I should reconsider? Any tips to someone new to the above equipment?

Excellent equipment. Make sure your IntelliCenter has the transformer for the SWG.

4. Pentair Intelliph (521377)
You may want to reconsider this.

5. Pentair Ultratemp 140 H/C (460958)
A HP will heat much slower than a gas heater. Just want you to be aware of the system limitations. Get an external bypass regardless.

Are you upgrading your filter?

Reactions: Newdude
Ensure unions are used on both sides of pump
Use diverted valves for any valuing such as 2-way and 3-way valves. Both Pentair and Jandy are most common.
Put in a heater bypass. Always good if you need to take it out of service or need to divert flow.
InteliCenter can be packaged with SWCG and with actuators for diverted valves.

Excellent equipment. Make sure your IntelliCenter has the transformer for the SWG.

A HP will heat much slower than a gas heater. Just want you to be aware of the system limitations. Get an external bypass regardless.

+1 on all of this.

Skip the pH system. Just use muriatic every once in awhile by hand. I dislike ORP and pH probes immensely, and you will learn to also if you use it. The only accounts we keep them on are the commercial spas due to health dept regulations.

Ok, I guess I need to do some more reading on the Intelliph. Saw some posts here where people were using it.

For the heat pump, understand that it's slower. Ok with that. The goal is to extend the swim season a bit and to keep it at our desired temp. Not interested in heating it up for one-offs or on really cold days.

Regarding the filter, we have a Pentair sand filter, not sure how old. Wasn't planning to, is there a reason to replace it? Wasn't really planning to do all this at once, but I'd rather do all the plumbing and wiring at one time rather that multiple times.

The intellipH is not all that intelligent. The issue members have is that it burns up the SWCG surge card when paired with an IC60.

If you have an extensive pH rise problem, add a Stenner tank and pump later. Leave room on your pad for one.

Why do you think you will have a pH rise problem?

Reactions: nrobfd_pl
Ok, I guess I need to do some more reading on the Intelliph. Saw some posts here where people were using it.
It's better than the Intellichem. But they're finicky and parts are expensive to maintain. The odds of you having a failed tube in a stennor pump and huge acid mess at some point are 100%. ☹️
For the heat pump, understand that it's slower. Ok with that. The goal is to extend the swim season a bit and to keep it at our desired temp. Not interested in heating it up for one-offs or on really cold days.
Depending on your utility costs, gas heater may be cheaper to run. The Ultratemps acquisition costs are also higher.
Regarding the filter, we have a Pentair sand filter, not sure how old. Wasn't planning to, is there a reason to replace it? Wasn't really planning to do all this at once, but I'd rather do all the plumbing and wiring at one time rather that multiple times.
If your sand filter body and the multiport are in good shape, no need to rush it. Any idea last time the sand was replaced?

I think you have it down pretty well. The irony of being disappointed when the HP didn't perform well or at all, was that we didn't want to swim on those days/weeks anyway. We'd throw on hoodies and go for a bike ride instead.

During the regular season, it excelled at keeping the already warm pool warm.

Depending on your utility costs, gas heater may be cheaper to run. The Ultratemps acquisition costs are also higher.
Yeah, it's confusing. Using Raypak's heat pump sizing app calculator says that the heat pump will be cheaper. Using their gas heater sizing app calculator says that the gas will be cheaper. Not sure what to make of that. Really, I'd love to buy the hybrid, but it's more $ and doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.

Our gas is $1.29 a therm (but hear it's going up), Electric is .095 a kwh.

If your sand filter body and the multiport are in good shape, no need to rush it. Any idea last time the sand was replaced?
No idea.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After all the helpful feedback and more research, here's the updated plan:

4. Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 sq. ft.
5. Pentair MasterTemp 400k gas heater

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.