My pool is green, and I am blue

waalaa

Aug 29, 2021
Portland, TN
Hi there,

Pool is green, mostly because both my husband and I were first seat on vacation, then such for 3 weeks with RSV (TMI I know). Anyway, we've tried out usual shock, algaecide, chlorine, and it improved, then turned green again. We had the water tested at the local pool store, who told us it was too acidic and sold us alkalinity powder and shock. It then became lighter green. I got a testing kit, which says we have no chlorine, no free chlorine, no cyanuric acid, and slightly low alkalinity. Sigh... Any advice? Thanks so much in advance! Leesa

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Also be sure to update your signature. See ours as examples. If you are on a well, add that too.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Leesa, TFP has got your back! I promise if you get the proper test kit these fine folks will turn you into a pool pro in no time. The proper testing is the KEY. You'll save time, money and frustration by just doing it. Can't wait to hear about your journey to really knowing your pool :love:
Edit to add these pictures from this POST

Welcome to TFP :)

How big is your pool and how many gallons.. We can get you going once you get a test kit.. That way we all know exactly what your pool is doing.. :)

Sorry, but test strips are not accurate nor reliable. TFP only provides guidance based on a proper test kit as described in my post above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.