MY INGROUND SALTWATER POOL IS LOOKING LIKE A LAKE -- GREEEEN

Re: MY INGROUND SALTWATER POOL IS LOOKING LIKE A LAKE -- GRE

Doing more research but it sounds relatively straight forward...I'll have to find a bearing puller tool from someone...I'm sure I can buy, borrow, or rent one. See attachment.

Attachments

• Hayward Superpump Repair.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 6

Two quick questions

1.  What is your cya level from your test?

2. Did you multiply by 0.5 on your FC test when you were done. That number just don't seem right, unless you added more bleach. Re-test this and let us know. 

Either way brush, brush, brush the pool. Keep the water moving any way you can.

I followed the kit instructions to the letter. I did not add anymore bleach than what we discussed. CYA level from my test was posted...refresh browser...I filled the solution into the tube until I ran out of tube and could still see the cloudy black dot in the bottom....the tube ends at 20PPM...thus less than 20ppm I am guessing.

Then we'll go with a 20cya level for now.

Explain how you did the chlorine test? A result of 25 seems high to me.

Using my new TFP Chem Testing Kit...with XL option. I just took it again and followed the instructions/numbers to the letter...

Update...checked the CYA again...same...maxed out the tube at 20ppm or less.

1:30pm - FC - 25.0, CC - 1.5, and TC - 26.5
4:00PM - FC - 25.0, CC - 1.5, and TC - 26.5

Keep in mind that it is sprinkling steadily...61 degrees...and overcast.

Something strange is happening. If CYA is really below 20 then FC would have fallen detectably over two and a half hours, even on an overcast day. So it seems that either the FC or the CYA results are incorrect. With the CYA test, it is difficult to get an exact reading, but it is also difficult to get the reading completely wrong. That leads me to suspect the FC test result. There are several ways to get the FC test result wrong. A good way to double check the FC test result is to use the simpler OTO chlorine test that comes in the K-1000 (blue box) inside the TF100. Could you do the OTO chlorine test and describe what color the sample turns? (I doubt it will be any color on the color chart.)

Just to make sure... you let the CYA reagents mix for at least 30 seconds right? And did you pour and re-pour it a few times? I like to let it mix for about a minute, just to be sure. Was the sample from the top of the pool or from down low? The rain could have skewed it if it's diluted at the surface at all.

I just took a look at the images. It looks pretty darn good, the chlorine is doing it's job. A little too well (changes that fast do indicate a bit of an overdose). Let it fall for now, and do make sure you re-test CYA again. It's not that we don't trust your results, just that the 40# of stabilizer (if it even was stabilizer) and all over the place pool store test results without a full drain and refill just don't add up to very very low CYA at the end of the same season that it was added. 40# for your pool means 160ppm. To reduce that to 20 or less by now you would have had to do some major draining/refilling. OR... it wasn't stabilizer at all. Do you happen to know exactly what it was? Brand?

How much bleach did you add yesterday? The rain might work in your favor if the CYA is <20. A sunny day might eat your chlorine. A little rain won't change much in the pool, rain isn't as dirty as a body is.

Sorry to hear about the pump. Making any progress?

Is that bud a new beer? I wish I liked rice beer better. Miller light was king of low carb and i just discovered it. Dang!

Just saw Jason's post. What he is saying makes sense, plus he's our resident King of all things Pool. And the Lions too :~}

My thoughts were maybe the pool store had him add enough CYA to get his level to a 40ppm level, not 40 pounds of stabilizer. I don't see any pool store doing that with a strait face. Also with the rain in the pool before, plus the draining would explain a CYA level around 20ish.

What I too am missing is the FC level of 25. From a zero level to a FC level of 25 that would be nine jugs with no lose at all. Concedering we can tell via the pics the bleach is working I'm guessing he's lost something??? Either way without the pump rocking....let the FC fall. We'll pick it up once we're all on the same page with the results. :) Pool looks good though!!

I'd let it fall some but I'd try to keep it up over the 14ppm mustard shock level, brush as often as I could without killing myself and vacuum the dead algae when I get the pump running.

Here's the pool store scenerio as I'm seeing it...

Someone goofed. haha... seriously, is this too far off to speculate that someone calculated with maximums instead of something reasonable?

Maximum CYA on the labels and the mainstream pool store/product information is like 100-150ppm. Pool store people sell and prescribe in pounds and someone just guessed most likely.

Hey, here's a thought... is the volume accurate? That's been known to mess things up before...

I'd like to know if the balancer product was actually CYA or... something else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hey fellas...I'm back...some slight changes...see the 2130 look...and my note 5 below...and I took a photo of the chemical containers I saved from months ago...in case I needed them...I might have been a little off...but you can see. (http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n635/randyb6363/)

DATE 1330 - SATURDAY 1600 - SATURDAY 2130 - SATURDAY
9/17/2011 9/17/2011 9/17/2011
TOTAL CHLORINE 25.0 25.0 23.0
FREE CHLORINE 26.5 26.5 21.5
PH NOT TESTED NOT TESTED NOT TESTED
TOTAL ALKALINITY NOT TESTED NOT TESTED NOT TESTED
CALCIUM HARDNESS NOT TESTED NOT TESTED NOT TESTED
STABILIZER (CYA) 20 OR LESS 20 OR LESS 20 OR LESS
SHOCK TREATMENT NA NA NA
SALT 2600.0 2600.0 2600.0
TC/FC/CC TC/FC/CC TC/FC/CC
3.5hr lapse 3.5hr lapse 5.5hr lapse

NOTES
1 - 9/14/11 - added 68oz of muratic acid and 40lbs of salt.
2 - 9/15/11 - took a sample a.m. which sat in my car all day in the heat and didn't make it to testing.
2 - 9/15/11 - pool level rise - 1in rain water late evening into night
3 - 9/16/11 - a.m. took sample and had it and 9/15/11 sample for comparison to testing.
3 - 9/16/11 - 12noon added 140oz muriatic acid…3 hours later added 3.5gal liquid bleach (brushing pool occasionally) and took for test at 4:15pm
3 - 9/16/11 - 8:00pm - added 546oz (3 jugs) bleach…10:00pm - added 182oz (1 jug) bleach…12:00am - added final 182oz jug of bleach…brushed each time…
4- 9/17/11 - 10:00am had sample tested at LESLIES…a reputable pool supply (concerned about the other place)…their chemicals test to 5ppm FC/TC…so I won't know the FC/TC level until my kit arrives today…pool is a cool looking color blue…see pictures at Photobucket.
5 - 9/17/11 - have performed the CYA test 3 times today…I am being extremely careful when I do it - instructions to the letter. TC/FC finally dropped…been raining most of day.
5 - 9/17/11 - performed the OTO test from the K1000 kit for chlorine…off the charts. I must be doing something wrong in the mixing step with CYA test. Shut off pump…LOUD.

Worn out fellas...gonna let it be for the evening...I have 2 exams to finish tomorrow...and go see my daughters...will work it until then. Thanks for your help!

AHHH

So these are the "balancers" you were talking about that you've added?

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... C05343.jpg

If so then none of those effects these tests. Those chemicals are just for CL and TA. The test result of around 20 would then also make since (not counting the fact the pool store let you run all season with no CYA) as backed up by this comment from your first post.....

I added 8lbs of AquaChem Shock w/dichlor in it

Depending on when you added this, the results may just now be starting to show. This would raise your CYA level to around 16.

Still doesn't pin-point your FC levels however? Suck's you weren't closer. I've got a 1HP hayward SuperPump in the in-laws garage that's going to be used as a spare pump next year right now.

You don't have to test cya any more for now. Save the chems for when you adjust the cya. Tonight or tomorrow night do an OCLT to see how you are doing. All you need to test till this episode is over is FC. now that you no you have less than 20ppm cya I'd let the FC come down to about 15ppm.

Take care and good luck with the pump. if it's easy enough change both bearings and the seal and you should be good for quite a while.

Leebo, yes...thanks for catching that...I too caught that this a.m. when reading pool school CYA facts and FC facts...the 8lbs of dichlor I put in was forgotten about...and the notes in school talk about the effect on FC and CYA levels. Pump impeller has stopped...I tried to circulate the water and clean the pool and was 3/4 way finished with vacuuming when it quit...I brushed the sides well and the shallow end...before I had to quit. I will pursue the pump matter more later...gonna do it myself...I've always been one of those who likes to do the stuff I can...and I know when it is over my head...this seems easy enough. I just need a friend to ensure I don't shock myself disconnecting it. FC levels soon.

Posted some additional photos...just tested the FC/CC/TC 2 times...1300 - 14.5/1.0/15.5...I'm going to see my kids...and will be gone for 4 hours or more...should I boost the chlorine 1-2ppm before I leave? That will keep it above 14 to ensure the algae is being combatted.

Using 16 as your CYA level your new shock level will be a FC of 11. As long as you're above that algae is being killed. Honestly I'd like to see your FC drop down to 10 while you're gone, as that would start to verify the new CYA level more. It's weird that a member who listened to the pool store has a low to zero level, but it's starting to play out that way. 

Enjoy the kids this afternoon. Then get the pump working. After that finish shocking.  It's well on it's way to being clear and easy to maintain. 

Okay fellas...back for a minute then off to work on exams...movie was okay...The Debt...will bring you down somewhat...kids hid their eyes alot. I tested FC 4 times (with my trusty assistant) to ensure I got this right.

9/18/11 - 1930

Average - FC/CC/TC - 13/1.125/14.125

I will test in the a.m. around 0600 before I leave for work.

Okay fellas...trying to get out the door to work...

9/19/11 - FC 10/CC 1.125 and TC 11.125 2nd test FC 10.5/CC 1.0 and TC 11.5...going to add enough to bump it up 2ppm while I'm at work today.

Looks like I lost approximately 3ppm in 11 hours.

Okay...got home at 1930...FC/CC/TC dropped SIGNIFICANTLY...

FC/CC/TC - 5.5/1.0/6.5...keep in mind it was only 76 or so today...and I had no mixing...filtering...I added 182oz this a.m. but there is no telling what it did since I have no mixing ability. I did stir...let me know what you think...

Is the pump working at all??

If it is......add 342 oz of bleach. If not I'd suggest working on the pump. If it isn't I'd add 182oz and then brush, brush, brush. The more you can brush the more the chlorine will be spread around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.