MY INGROUND SALTWATER POOL IS LOOKING LIKE A LAKE -- GREEEEN

Re: MY INGROUND SALTWATER POOL IS LOOKING LIKE A LAKE -- GRE

I know... those pool store results for CYA are highly suspect. But they are all suspect, with a wide range of suspect'ness :~}

However, add 40 pounds of stabilizer (balancer?) to a 30K gallon pool and that values out at 160ppm CYA. If it was even really 0 in the first place. Dum pool store and their "pounds" of chemicals they sell so people can arbitrarily dump them in. It's stupid stuff like that which makes me suspect the pool stores lack ethics. They have to know that's over stabilizing the pool, which will cause issues. Which then brings the pool owner back for more chemicals.

Some of it was lost by draining and rain-fill sure, but it can't really be 0. 45 sounds more possible to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit higher than that even.

I can't wait till you get your own kit and we truly see the numbers. Keep adding chlorine as long as you feel safe. What were some of the readings for CYA before the outbreak? Just trying to find a good number.

Try to sign up for photobucket for your photos. I'd love to see the progress. In the mean time I'm gonna sit here and eat my daughters gummy snacks I just found in the back of the car. :)

Okay...given that it is 7:30pm now...I just got back from picking up fajitas, tequila, and Bud Select Light...55cals...I added the Wallyworld Great Value 182oz bleach to pool...546oz...and pool is clearing up even more...and at midnight...I'll do the same or more...recommendations? According to what I "think" I calculated 546oz will raise it 8.6...surely...that is about right.

2.5 grams of carbohydrates in Miller Light. You can drink 4 of those to equal one regular beer... or 6 or 7 if you normally drink microbrews :party: :cheers:

Although those orange Busch cans look like great targets :~}

Sounds like a plan (and is working), but I'd add the bleach at ten, and again at midnight (plus some extra) instead of just one more dose. Heck, if you drink long enough you can do it again at 2am!

I have added no stabilizer since coming to TFP...:) and I just brushed the dern thing again...you can smell the bleach...you still think another 546oz is good for midnight until the a.m.?

Leebo, I wish I could tell you...safe is relative...without a kit...I'm risking it...enjoy the gummy snacks...fajitas were good...the 55select with 1.6 carbs and 55 cals were good...I got a fitness test coming mid October...watching the micro brews...my favorite. Let me see if I can find an old test kit and figure it out for FC...SAW something in the garage that looked like it is years old.

I'm hoping the 40lbs of stabilizer was tounge in cheek. But if you put any in this year the zero is suspect. The other side of me says the cya can't be ridiculously high or the pool wouldn't be looking be looking better with the amount of chlorine you have put in so far.

You need a test kit as bad as anyone i have ever seen.

Congrats on the results so far.

Yes the test kit you ordered will measure high levels of FC.

I myself would slow it down just a touch here. Without knowing 100% your cya level, I myself would assume zero.  I'm sure others would assume a cya of 45, but none of us but you can know for sure.  

At 10 and midnight I would add one 182oz jug and then do the same in the morn. Then test at the pool store again.  It will take longer, but we'll all get there the same. That smell you're smelling is the chlorine doing it's job. Kill baby kill!

I tend to remember reading the TF100 can read up to a FC level of 50, but I maybe wrong. Either way, you're set now. 

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Alright....back on my computer. This is better. :D

Looking back on the pool stores numbers their tests are all over the place. They've had CYA from 0-45....CL from 100-300.....TA from 120-190. All of the numbers are everywhere! The only number that stayed the same is the FC...and that was always a zero before today. The reason I suggested to add the 3 jugs of bleach this afternoon was simply because we knew your FC was a zero at that point. Any chlorine in the pool would have been a HUGE help. I myself have a hard time seeing a CYA reading of zero in your pool, however without being the one to maintain and know your pool I have to assume it as a possibility. With that being said....I bet FrogABog will be right in the statement that 45 will be low. It sounds like the store used the "dump this in" technique on you, and who knows the true amounts that is added. Again however, your test kit will be there soon and your learning now just what needs to be done. Adding a few jugs will keep some chlorine in the pool. Tomorrow's another day...and hopefully we can get a few true CYA readings to start accurately shocking the pool.

Keep an eye on the filter during all of this also.....the PSI should start raising quickly here soon, if it hasn't already.

You're leaving us hanging....

What's the water look like...any tests done yet?? We wana know!!

Okay fellas, good afternoon! Had the usual weekend errands to attend...but suffice to say...we have significant changes...see attached document and pictures (http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n635/randyb6363/).

DATE FRIDAY SATURDAY
CHEMICAL 9/16/2011 9/17/2011
TOTAL CHLORINE 10.0 5+
FREE CHLORINE 10.0 5+
PH 7.7 7.8
TOTAL ALKALINITY 160.0 80.0
CALCIUM HARDNESS 300.0 170.0
STABILIZER (CYA) 0.0 60.0
SHOCK TREATMENT NA NA
SALT 1600-1800 2600.0
NOTES ARE BELOW Note 3 Note 4

NOTES
1 - 9/14/11 - added 68oz of muratic acid and 40lbs of salt.
2 - 9/15/11 - took a sample a.m. which sat in my car all day in the heat and didn't make it to testing.
2 - 9/15/11 - pool level rise - 1in rain water late evening into night
3 - 9/16/11 - a.m. took sample and had it and 9/15/11 sample for comparison to testing.
3 - 9/16/11 - 12noon added 140oz muriatic acid…3 hours later added 3.5gal liquid bleach (brushing pool occasionally) and took for test at 4:15pm
3 - 9/16/11 - 8:00pm - added 546oz (3 jugs) bleach…10:00pm - added 182oz (1 jug) bleach…12:00am - added final 182oz jug of bleach…brushed each time…
4- 9/17/11 - 10:00am had sample tested at LESLIES…a reputable pool supply (concerned about the other place)…their chemicals test to 5ppm FC/TC…so I won't know the FC/TC level until my kit arrives today (JUST SHOWED UP)…pool is a cool looking color blue…see pictures at Photobucket...skimmed the pool too...photo shows the debris and poor frog who I found in it. RAIN coming down...measured about 2 inches.

Attachments

• POOL CHEM TESTS(rgb).xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 5

Okay...good news and bad news...good news...

FC - 25
CC - 1.5
TC - 26.5

Bad news...my pump is getting louder and louder...like bearings? Guidance? I just shut it down...it figures...never fails...geez.

DATE FRIDAY SATURDAY
CHEMICAL 9/16/2011 9/17/2011
TOTAL CHLORINE 10.0 5+
FREE CHLORINE 10.0 5+
PH 7.7 7.8
TOTAL ALKALINITY 160.0 80.0
CALCIUM HARDNESS 300.0 170.0
STABILIZER (CYA) 0.0 60.0
SHOCK TREATMENT NA NA
SALT 1600-1800 2600.0

One question, the 9/16 and 9/17 are two different stores right? It will be very interesting to see what you get. Just don't assume Leslie's will always get it right if it turns out to be 60.

The leslies by me is awful. I hear there is one 20 miles away that is better. We do have a Clearwater pools store that is pretty consistent if you go in when the older lady does the testing. If you go in and get a different person everytime it is less consistand but dramatically better than Leslie's closest to me. The Clearwater store is good people but there is no substitute for your own testing.

If you get one bad test on cya, which I have, and you add too much cya, which thankfully I didn't because the number sounded too low, it can lead to disaster.

The kit came?

Sorry to hear the bad news on the pump. You can change the bearings yourself if you are mechanically inclined. When you start it back up, take a really big screwdriver, or a steel rod and put one end near the bearing and the other end to your ear. Most of the time which bearing is bad will be obvious. If it is the back end you might be able to pull that end housing off, change the bearing and stick it back together without disturbing the wet end.

Alright fellas...yes, I'm mechanically inclined plus the pump come apart from the housing so no plumbing is interrupted...motor can be fixe or replaced...I'm thinking it is the bearing on the impeller...it doesn't rotate as free and fast as before...I drained the housing and cleaned out...had a couple of pieces of stuff from pool in it and started her back up...it must be that...guess I better order that now.

CYA test...lest than 20ppm...I can still see the black dot in the bottom of the tube...getting more and more faint but I'm out of tube...what does this mean? And yes...the kit came...that is how I got the FC/CC/TC level before and just now the CYA.

FC - 25
CC - 1.5
TC - 26.5
CYA -20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.