Must have a clog...

Pizza

Silver Supporter
May 2, 2017
Burbank, CA
Happy New Year Everyone.

Was vacuuming out leaves (had a bunch) from the bottom of the pool, happens every autumn so the procedure I follow is simple, vacuum until the pump basket gets full, power down, empty and resume. Eventually I get it all out and all is well.

This time though when I saw the suction stop and went to clean out the pump basket... it was clear but still no suction. I took the pump basket out and sure enough found a clog of leaves stuck in the pipe end, pulled them all out, cleared any clogs in the vacuum hose, back washed... still no suction. Pump working just fine, btw.

I opened up the filter itself and it's full of water. Took the grids out and turned to backwash with the filter top off and while running the pump I see plenty of flow coming into the filter, but still no suction.

Seems to me there is a clog from the skimmer to the pump. I don't have a plumbing snake, all I have is an electrical fish tape which is long enough to get to the pump basket but not flexible enough to get past the right angles of the pipes.

Should I try shoving my garden hose into the skimmer pipe and try to force water through with the pump basket lid open?

Thought I'd come here before trying anything off the top of my head.

What do you all think?

Jim

How is the flow from your returns?

I had this happen before..............I had leaves caught in my pump impeller. I had to disconnect the the pump from the equipment, remove the pump basket part (part that holds the pump basket). I found all kinds of leaves stuck there. Once I got that clean out I was good to go again.

MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF AT THE BREAKER BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS!!! Don't want to lose a finger!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim.

I have to clean my grids and put the filter back together before I can give you the current situation but I'm pretty sure the returns were working fine (I saw some bubbles coming up from them when I'd last turned the pump back on.

I will certainly try checking the impeller (with power off, lol) but how could leaves get to the impeller if there aren't any holes in the pump basket...?

What do you think about trying to blast some water through the line with a garden hose?

Jim

If you can get enough pressure it sure cannot hurt. Just make sure it has a clear path to come out. Take the basket out and leave the lid off, valves open etc.

I have NO idea how the leaves got through my baskets but they did :( I hope you figure in out and it is easy! Keep us up to date so we can use it to help others in the future!

Kim:kim:

Leaves in the impeller are usually due to a crack in the pump basket or the basket floating up and leaves going under and around the basket.

A medium sized rock can help keep the basket down.

For vacuuming, you should never go directly into a plumbing line. A skimmer plate should be used to go over the skimmer basket so that debris gets caught in the skimmer basket.

Leaves in the impeller are usually due to a crack in the pump basket or the basket floating up and leaves going under and around the basket.

A medium sized rock can help keep the basket down.

For vacuuming, you should never go directly into a plumbing line. A skimmer plate should be used to go over the skimmer basket so that debris gets caught in the skimmer basket.

Thanks James, I've not yet heard of a 'skimmer plate'... I just googled it and only found this black thing with a big hole in the middle, not sure by looking at it how it works. When you have a moment could you please show me what I should get?

Back to my effort to resolve the problem:

I've run the garden hose at highest pressure possible, with a narrow brass nozzle to boost the pressure, from both the skimmer line to the pump and again from the pump back to the skimmer. Some bubbles and a few leaves came out, nothing more. I hope the bubbles doesn't mean there's a rock or something stuck in the line...

Cleaned the grids and putting the filter back together and I'll try running the system again... If there's still no suction, I guess I'll have to follow Kim's advice and get to the impeller... looks simple enough but arduous, hope I don't have to take the pump apart.

Stay tuned.

Jim

The skimmer plate comes in different sizes. So you need to know which skimmer you have or the diameter of the basket and skimmer.

The plate covers the basket and the hose connects to the top part. The plate is larger than the basket but smaller than the skimmer. Some skimmer designs don't take a plate.

You can stick your finger into the hole going to the impeller to feel for debris. Make sure power is securely off at the breaker. Don't rely on a timer as that can turn on by itself.

To unclog the line, you're probably going to need to get someone with a pump to vacuum out the line from the skimmer hole.

Hey James, just saw this...

sure enough when I stuck my fingers in there (breaker off) the impeller was stuck alright. I was able to get some leaves and gunk out and free the thing up so I could turn it with my fingers. After I get a new brass bolt/thing to tighten the collar I hope to be back in business.

Stay tuned and thanks!

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.