Multiport valve won't budge from filter housing!! RESOLVED!

Got it off! Did a few laps with the heat gun (enough to change the color of the MPV a little) and gave it a few good yanks with my breaker bar.Wasn't sure the heat would really affect 10+ year old silicone but I did. And it was definitely silicone in. I take it I should NOT use silicone when I reinstall?

Sand was pretty clumpy. Stuck to the sides enough that I had to break it loose. Not sure if that is normal.

3 of my laterals snapped off. Now I have to look into replacing. I might just replace that whole setup if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks for all the help!

Woo hoo! :party: That's been quite a story. Interesting to watch and unfold on our end, no fun on yours I'm sure. But, hey .... you're building memories. Ha ha. Congrats on the disassembly. That will be a story to remember for others in the future who may find themselves in the same situation - silicone. Ugh. :hammer:

Woo hoo! :party: That's been quite a story. Interesting to watch and unfold on our end, no fun on yours I'm sure. But, hey .... you're building memories. Ha ha. Congrats on the disassembly. That will be a story to remember for others in the future who may find themselves in the same situation - silicone. Ugh. :hammer:

Definitely building memories. And back pain! I hate when I'm following a thread and there is nothing at the end saying how they resolved it. Trying to be better about posting how things ended up. Appreciate all the help and support.

Time for a whole new filter, I think :( Between replacing the broken laterals and completely cleaning off the old silicone plus the cost of your new MPV (can you return in for refund/credit?) I'd just replace the whole thing.

Now you have me thinking. Once I got the valve off I stopped thinking about a new filter. But you have an interesting point. I've had the MPV for 9 months or so, so I don't think I can return it. But maybe get $50 for it on eBay? I have $90 worth of sand in my truck that I bought on Friday. And I just spent almost $90 on the center piping and laterals. Am I better off spending a bit more and getting a new setup?

Many good filters will NOT have an mvp included. They are seperate items. Use your "new"ish mpv and get a new filter body that works with it.

Or do I step up to a cartridge filter like a Pentair and then never have to backwash again? Price is steep ($788 on amazon) but people claim their water is as clear as their DE filter and just have to rinse out a cartridge once a month.

Any filter....sand, DE, cartridge is capable of giving you crystal clear water. Never having to backwash is offset by having to hose down. each type has it's advantages. A tightly maintained pool favors a DE/Cartridge system while a pool that is occasionally neglected does a little better with a sand filter. Decide which type of pool manager you are and then make a decision.

Any filter....sand, DE, cartridge is capable of giving you crystal clear water. Never having to backwash is offset by having to hose down. each type has it's advantages. A tightly maintained pool favors a DE/Cartridge system while a pool that is occasionally neglected does a little better with a sand filter. Decide which type of pool manager you are and then make a decision.

Appreciate the info. I don't know what to do. Usually if there's an opportunity to upgrade I do it. Probably a stupid question but is there any resale value in what we do to our pool systems? Meaning if we decide to sell the house down the road would there be any extra value in an upgraded filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.