Multiple Pool Problems

Please forgive me for not reporting the pool is full. I had 3 hoses filling and completed the filling process about 11 PM on 16 July.

DELAY

I just went out and got pool water to measure for CYA. Looks like a CYA of about 23 ppm. The water in the sight tube was barely touching the top side of the "o" in Taylor.

I have about 1 gallon of distilled water available.

I have about 1 gallon of distilled water available.
Good, were gonna' do a makeshift chlorine test to make sure you don't overdose your pool.

First of all, your CYA came out exactly like we thought it might. After your pool is crystal clear, we'll bump it back up to around 40-50.

Okay, before you add any more bleach, take a pool water sample and dilute it by adding three exact parts of the distilled water to one part of the pool water for a 3:1 ratio.

Now, take that solution and put it on the chlorine side of the comparator in the blue plastic box...(the same one you test pH). Add the five drops of R-0600 as you normally would and judge the intensity of the yellow just like you would normally do the test......then multiply your result by 4. For example, if it looks like your chlorine is a 2ppm, post it back up as 8ppm.

I really don't like this test because, as you will see, it's very, very innacurate but I think it will be good enough to keep your FC between 10 and 20.......not good but good enough to hold the algae at bay and prevent you from damaging your liner.

Report that test result back as well as the condition of your water this AM. Is it better than yesterday? The same? Worse?

I checked earlier this morning and did not see the most recent reply to my previous post. Here is what I found at the pool.

1. The water looks milky clear. I brushed the sides and bottom and noticed the visibility in the deep end was less than before I brushed. However, I now can see the breakline when going from the shallow to the deep end.
2. There was a slight amount of green algae in one corner of the top step. I think this might have been attributed to some of our abundant wildlife stepping on the step and getting a drink during the night.
3. I added 3 jugs (182 each) to the pool and made sure plenty was added to the top step. I probably have to much chlorine in there now but.

Awaiting your directions.

and made sure plenty was added to the top step.
Don't concentrate the chlorine in one area. Distribute it evenly throughout the pool.

Do not add anymore chlorine today but do that dilution test early this evening and be prepared to add more clorox then. Is the water better than yesterday?

Pool water looks clearer today than yesterday. It is all milky gray in color. When I did add the bleach I poured it around the pool perimeter but far enough away from the vinyl liner not to discolor it.

It may be dark this evening before I have an opportunity to perform the distilled water test you recommended. I have a meeting at church later this afternoon. However, after I do the test I will post the results here.

8 PM -- Water is not crystal clear. Low light outside but the water looks to be semi clear (if that makes any sense). I can faintly see the outline of the drains in the 7 ft end.

Just performed this test:
1 part pool water
3 parts distilled water
Mixed them together and poured to the thin black line in the yellow side of the measuring tube. Added 5 drops of R-0600. It looks like the chlorine amount in the test sample of water is between 2 x (4 multiplier) = 8 and 3 x (4 multiplier) = 12 ppm.

I hope this information helps.

Good Morning, Rocky,

That's helpful. I would suggest you put in 2 large jugs of Clorox this morning and then none 'til this evening. Do that same test again this evening and put in enough clorox to bring your FC back up to around 15 (probably about 1 jug). We'll try to keep the FC around 15 or so 'til your refills arrive.

Keep adding the Clorox and report if the pool is or is not getting clearer.

7 PM Water test results:

1. Water clarity is almost clear. Still cannot clearly see the 2 drains in the 7 ft end.
2. Just performed this test:
1 part pool water
3 parts distilled water
Mixed them together and poured to the thin black line in the yellow side of the comparator tube. Added 5 drops of R-0600. It looks like the chlorine amount in the test sample of water is 2 x (4 multiplier) = 8 ppm
3. According to the Pool Calculator I need to add almost 2 jugs (182 oz) bleach to get to the FC of 15. I will add 2 full jugs as soon as the swimmer gets out.
4. Do I need to measure and add chlorine in the AM? Right now I only plan to brush the sides and bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm looking for a recommendation. This morning I did not test the water but added 2 large (182 oz) jugs of bleach. I have not tested the water this evening. So far this afternoon we have had approximately .3 inches of rain. The forecast is for heavy thunderstorms tonight. Should I test now and add bleach or test in the morning and add necessary bleach. Maybe something else? How about it?

Here is a brief summary covering yesterday's and this morning's actions

21 July 10 AM: Did not test water but added 2 large jugs bleach.
21 July 8 PM: Did not test water but added 2 large jugs bleach. Raining this PM.

22 July 8 AM: Since yesterday afternoon we have had about .7 inches of rain. Did OTO dilution test. TC looks to be about 20 ppm. Did not add any thing to pool. Water looks cloudy especially in the deep end. Hopefully the test kit refills will arrive today.

Rocky,

If you have adjustable return(s), point them all down to the deep end to move that water.

You'll want some more Clorox late this evening. Let's see if you can test for it before we decide how much.

Here are the results of tonight's 8 PM test.
FC 12 ppm
CC <0.5
Water in deep end looks as it did yesterday, slightly cloudy. Return eyeball in deep end is pointed slightly downward. Should I check for overnight chlorine loss? Do I need to add any bleach at this time? With a CYA of 23 the CYA/FC chart shows no need to add bleach to reach Shock FC level.

Now that I have my refill chemicals should I perform other tests? If so, in what order?

Just a qiuck observation. I had a pond this summer and before i got my tf100 test kit i would use my TA test to get a better idea of my FC level.

I played with it for a while and found that 15-20ppm FC changed my TA test to blue after R-8 and then yellow after R-9. Rather than green and red. So maby this could be used to coach someone to a better FC level than the dilution method untill they get a good test kit/reorder reagents.

I dont know if anything else was at play to help change the color but 3 times i got the same results and what i've read says high FC changes it to blue then yellow at completition of test.

Point all returns you have in such a way that they point directly at the cloudy water in your pool. If the water is staying cloudy at a certain depth, let's mix that water in with the rest of the pool.

I see no reason to perform any test other than FC until your pool is clear. Since you have already done the first part of the Overnite loss test go ahead and test again tomorrow AM and report your results.

Overnight chlorine loss test completed. FC this morning was 10 ppm and last night it was 12 ppm.

You mentioned I should have the returns pointed at the cloudy water in the pool. Apparently all the pool water is cloudy but it really shows in the deep end. Seems as though the 2 drains being in the deep end would create sufficient "turn over" of the water. The filter pump is on 24/7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.