Multiple Pool Problems

FC this morning was 10 ppm and last night it was 12 ppm.
You're not too far from completion. I understand what you're saying about the cloudiness. FPM brings up a good point..........Make sure the main drain is working properly.

Did you bring the FC back up after you measured 10ppm?

Both drains and the skimmer are input lines going to the filter. I have 2 valves which control the drains and the skimmer. Each valve has been opened 24/7. I can close the skimmer valve and all the water will cycle to the filter through the 2 drain inlets.

I just went out and closed the skimmer valve. Now all the water going to the filter comes through the 2 drains in the deep end.

I added 2 large jugs of bleach this morning based on The Pool Calculator target of 18 ppm.

Water clarity is less cloudy than when I made my 6 AM post.

Don't stop adding chlorine. Keep your FC at or slightly above shock level until....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

5 AM test Results
FC 11 ppm
CC <0.5 ppm
Did not lose any FC in overnight test. Water still not sparkling clear but it is still early in the day. Added 1 jug bleach. Plan is to test around noon for FC and add bleach to keep chlorine at or slightly above shock level, which should be about 13 ppm.

You are almost home. The remaining cloudiness can/will be corrected with filtering and normal levels of FC.

I would suggest skipping the lunchtime feeding of FC :-D

Rather, I would like to see a full set of test results after the sun is off the pool this evening.

So, this evening, test for FC, CC, pH, TA and CYA before you add any chlorine. Post those results and we'll start fine tuning.

My thinking is I'd like to see how much FC you lose today to the sun, I'd like to see how much CC's are still in the pool and I'd like to recheck the pH and TA and CYA. I remember where those three were, I would like to make sure they are still there.

For now, keep your pump running 24/7 and clean/backwash your filter as necessary.

Here is what I did so far today:

1. At 5 AM the FC was 11 ppm and CC was <0.5 ppm
2. At 6 AM I added 1 jug of bleach. I hope this action did not adversely impact this evening's test data.
3. At 2 PM the FC was 11 ppm and CC was 0 ppm (no change of color whatsoever).

I will wait till the sun is off the pool and do a complete battery of tests.

Results of 8 PM testing:
FC 11 ppm
CC <0.5 ppm
TA 80
pH 7.5
CYA <20. Maybe 19. Could not see the dot when water level was at the vertical leg of the "t" in taylor. I repeated this test twice since I did not believe the low CYA initial reading.

Where do I go from this point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are finished with the shock process and ready for daily maintenance.

1. Add no more bleach until it gets down around 3ppm. Then keep it between 3-5ppm constantly.....it'll probably take about 2-3 quarts daily.

2. Tomorrow go buy enough stabilizer (CYA) to get to 40-50ppm.....about 4 lbs will do it.

3. If your water is not crystal clear continue to run the pump 24/7 until it is.

4. When was the last time you backwashed. Is your pressure up or normal?

5. Your pH and TA are fine

6. If you go away again, don't let your FC get away from you. Have someone put the Clorox in daily or use your chlorinator for just the time you are away.

Backwash was performed on 22 July. Pressure had increased by about 6 psi.

Today I will open the valve going to the skimmer.

Thanks for all the help you and everyone here on the forum have provided.

About 4 hours ago I added 3 lbs of CYA to a sock in the skimmer basket. The water now looks crystal clear. How many hours each day should I run the filter pump? Should I wait a week before measuring the CYA in the water? Any other words of wisdom for me?

The water now looks crystal clear.
Nice work. :-D :-D

I'd run the pump roughly 12 hours each day. Split that into three 4-hour sessions if you have a timer. You could try 8 hours daily and see how that does for you....there's no set rule. YOu might run it longer than 12 if you have a lot of swimmers one day.

You can check your CYA in a week if you want to.....it'll be 35-40ppm.

Keep an eye on your chlorine. Lack of chlorine will turn your pool back to green and you'll have to do this all again.

See ya'

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.