Let me make sure I understand this correctly.

When you flip the on switch that signals the motor to start and the copper strips on the centrifugal switch to make contact. The centrifugal switch helps the motor to reach a certain speed and once that speed is reached the copper strips retract.

Is this correct?

Essentially. The idea is that the capacitor is only needed for a short time. Just enough to help the motor get started spinning. When it reached around 75% of speed the centrifugal switch opens up and removes the cap from the circuit.

I believe the strips are in contact from the start and get separated by the centrifugal forces on the spring loaded weights.

- - - Updated - - -

Text stolen from the internet:
At rest, levers attached to the weights press a low-friction, non-conductive plate against a set of electrical contacts mounted to the motor housing, closing the contacts and connecting the starting winding to the power source. When the motor approaches its normal operating speed, centrifugal force overcomes the spring force and the weights swing out, raising the plate away from the electrical contacts. This allows the contacts to open and disconnects the starting winding from the power source; the motor then continues operating solely using its running winding. Motors using such a centrifugal switch make a distinct clicking noise when starting and stopping as the centrifugal switch opens and closes.

Yesterday I thought that I would go to an electrical supply store to see if I could get a centrifugal switch, and have the cap checked. Sitting in front of the store was an electrician who had done some electrical work at my house and on electrical stuff associated with the pool when I was getting the pool renovated. He checked the cap and told me it was no good, and said they didn't have a centrifugal switch at the electrical store and referred me to a store that worked on electrical motors. I never knew such a place existed. I went there and bought a used centrifugal switch for $5.00 and another cap. On my way home I was excited about the new parts and knew they were going to be the fix, having forgotten that earlier I had broken the yellow wire off the round black cylinder that I believe is for over heating. The yellow wire attaches to the black cylinder and to the cap. When I returned home I was reminded that the yellow wire was broken and I could not put it back on.

The electric engine shop knew all about pool motors, and had a lot of new and used motors. They also showed me how to disconnect the motor so that I could take it to another location to work on it. I had seen people in videos working on motors that were on tables, etc but I was afraid to disconnect all those wires on mine thinking I would never get it back together. At the engine shop they showed me that it was only connected with three wires and how to unconnect it to move it to another location to work on it. That would be valuable information for me to know later.

Thursday I broke off the yellow wire and could not get the wire back on, so I also could not install my new parts. When I was at the engine shop earlier I learned how to take the motor off by loosing 3 wires, and that the wires on the black cylinder were soldered on. So on Friday I took the motor to the engine shop to get the yellow wire soldered on. I also took all the parts that I had bought so the expert could install them for me. After everything was installed I asked him if there was a test he could do to see if the motor was working like it should, or did the motor have to be working with water before you could test it. He said the motor was very loud. He then tested the amperage and said it was way high indicating the motor was not working. He then looked through the slots into the motor and it was black in there with copper wires lying in the bottom looking like shredded wheat. He pronounced the motor DOA.

The old motor was a Hayward Super 1.5 single speed Pump. Another important thing I learned at the engine shop is this particular Hayward was manufactured by AO Smith. The motor had a tag on it stating exactly that. The employee at the engine shop pointed this out to me. I had never noticed it before. So I don't know what the advantage of owning a Hayward world be, and they cost a lot more.

He had a used AO Smith for $150.00, and that included a new seal, and putting my impeller on. I brought the motor home, put it on in about 15 minutes, and it purrs like a kitten. The disadvantage about buying a used motor is it did not come with a warranty.

My old motor was always loud, and has gotten louder in recent weeks. I thought that was normal, but it is not. My new motor is whisper quite. It’s also seems to be a lot more powerful than the old one. With this one I can hear the water moving through the filter.

I believe the old motor was on the way out, and my handy work could have pushed it over the edge. As I stated earlier I had to go out of town for a couple of weeks and left the motor on a timer, and when I returned it was not on, and I attempted to fix it. It could have burned out then.

Now that I have learned about the engine shop, that is where I will be going in the future. I'm retiring from pool motor repair.

I only attempted to repair it myself because the only pool place I would trust to fix it is astronomical. The technician said he was embarrassed to tell customers how much their bill was.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.