Jul 31, 2013
NW Louisiana
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a Hayward SuperPump SP2610X15 that was running a non-original motor (Century B129) that has finally gave up on me. I am not faced with a decision on what motor to replace it with as I believe that it was too big for my SuperPump which I would assume came with a 1.5 HP with a SF of 1.0; the B129 is a 1.5HP and SF of 1.3. My setup is simple (single skimmer, no drain) with 1.5" pipes and a Hayward S244T Sand Filter. So my question is the B129 (effectively 1.95 rated HP) too big for my pool and should I be using something close to the original motor? I have looked at the V-Green 1.65 VS motor replacement but I am not sure that I want to spend extra on it since I have an older pump. My AC unit went down and I'm tasked with the expense of replacing it tomorrow so I just cannot spring for the whole pump replacement today.

Thanks in advance.

The smaller impeller will provide less flow, but you really should not need more flow than these impellers will provide.

This will save you a lot of money on electricity.

If you have only one skimmer, I would get the SP2600C impeller.

If you have 2 skimmers, I would probably get the SP2605 impeller.

hayward-spx2600c-4.jpg

2305-605-000-01.jpg

hayward-spx2600c-3.jpg

So I am correct in that my current motor is a little too large? I do have a 23K gallon 18x36 pool so I am hesitant on going too low, but I do like where you are going with sizing down and saving electricity. The .75HP Pump consumes @ 5.3 AMPS (230V) vs 1HP @ 5.5AMPS (230V); not much difference there and I assume with different impeller it would have more flow? Could I possibly go to a 1 HP motor and possible order this impeller Pureline Generic Super Pump Style Impeller, 1.0 THP, Replaces SPX2607C - PL2671 - INYOPools.com ? I've already ordered a replacement impeller as it broke when the motor sized up (OEM Plastic threads), but I can send it back if needed.

Turnover is a myth.

In my opinion, a SP2600C or a SP2605 would be more than enough.

In any case, you can get a SP2607C with a 1.0 total HP motor if you want.

I would get the SP2600C and a 3/4 hp motor, but you need to do whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you get a SP2600C and a 3/4 hp motor, you can always upsize the impeller later to a SP2605C if you feel like you need more flow.

You can get a 1.0 total HP motor with a SP2600C or a SP2605C now and see how it works.

If you feel like you need more flow, you can upsize the impeller later to a SP2607C.

So upsizing the impeller on a 3/4 to a 1HP rated impeller (SP2605C) will not overload the motor or cause any issues? If I can upsize the impeller without any issues, that's what I will do

I did look and the S224T sand filter is only rated for 62 GPM and the 3/4HP motor is rated between 50-60; so I'm liking this design of yours.

The motor has to be at least equal to the rating as shown below.

The impeller can be smaller, but not larger.

SP2600C...1/2 total hp (0.5 to 0.6 H.P).
SP2605C...3/4 total hp (0.75 H.P).
SP2607C...1.0 total hp (1.0 to 1.1 H.P).

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it, I was reading this wrong. So the proper sized impeller or a downsized on will not affect the motor or it's efficiency rating?

I also need a different water slinger?

This 1.0 motor is more efficient because it uses a run capacitor as you can see the hump on top.

It might use slightly less power than a regular motor, but it costs more for the initial purchase.

In my opinion, the 3/4 HP motor with the SP2600C or SP2605C is the way to go.

century-uct1102-1.jpg

century-uct1102-5.jpg

Century (A.O. Smith) 1.0 HP Up Rate Energy Efficient Motor, Round Flange 56J Frame, Single Speed - Model UCT1102​

$291.71

So the proper sized impeller or a downsized on will not affect the motor or it's efficiency rating?
As long as the impeller is not too big, the motor will work correctly.

In fact, a SP2600C on a 3/4 HP motor will use less than 3/4 total hp and the motor will run cooler.

I would go with a 3/4 hp motor and a SP2600C impeller.

If you need to later, you can upsize to a SP26065C impeller.

With a single skimmer, the flow will be plenty in my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.