Motor hums, nothing else

These motors come setup for 230 volts. If you have 120 volt supplying it, you would likely see the symptoms you describe.

Assuming you have the new style motor, there's a dial that switches from one voltage to the other. Turn it Counter-Clockwise (CCW) for 115 volts.
If you don't have the dial there will be a wiring diagram on the data plate of the motor to tell you how to wire it for low and high voltages.

- - - Updated - - -

To check whether you have 120 or 240 volts supplying the motor. Look at the breaker feeding it. If it's a single wide breaker it's 120 volts, and if it's a double wide breaker it's 240 volts.

FYI -- Keep in mind that the width of the breaker is what's important and not the handle. Some double pole breakers have a single handle.

My electrician checked everything out and said that it is wired correctly. He also checked the voltage and said it is getting the required volts.

I called a local pool store and they suggested that I remove the back cover of the motor and give the shaft a spin. Then I should turn the breaker on and see if that starts the action.

1. If this does start the pump in motion, what is my problem and how is it fixed?

2. If this doesn't start the motor, what is my problem and how is it fixed?

ALSO, thank you to all that are commenting and helping me out. I am adamant that I am going to fix this and have the knowledge to do this without paying a pool company a wad of cash to do so. I really do appreciate all the help.

If you turn on the breaker and spin the shaft by hand and the motor runs, then the capacitor is either bad or there's a loose connection between the cap and the windings. If the motor has a centrifugal switch the contacts could not be making.

If it's a new motor I'd have the vendor replace it.

If you turn on the breaker and spin the shaft by hand and the motor runs, then the capacitor is either bad or there's a loose connection between the cap and the windings. If the motor has a centrifugal switch the contacts could not be making.

If it's a new motor I'd have the vendor replace it.

Would it matter if the previous motor was making the same humming noise before I replaced it?

Since you've had the power checked by an electrician, it's likely a coincidence that both motors are exhibiting the same symptoms.

It could be a loose connection problem that only shows up under load, but that would be rare.

Can you rotate the shaft by hand? Any thing jammed in the pump? Try this list of checks.

Single phase AC motors typically use (a) capacitor(s) to start and/or run. This is needed so there is a phase difference between magnetic fields in the stator and those in the rotor. Although i don't see how your old motor AND your new motor could both have capacitor issues...but, in any case, if you are capable and have a meter that can measure capacitance, check the capacitor(s).

Are you sure both motors were single speed? I'm sure you are sure, but...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your centrifugal switch contacts are likely covering up the end of the motor shaft. If that's the case, you will most likely have a hard time getting to the shaft to turn it, but the shaft is what you're looking to turn.

Please keep us posted.

Remember, this is a process of gaining knowledge over time and becoming comfortable with new things...before you know it, you'll be more proficient with things before that made you comfortable...I bet it's a very sm part that is bad or you had another dead motor...it's not real common, but definitely a real chance...good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.