Motherboard issue with hot tub after power failure (Coast 2006 with Gecko pack)

frosken

Aug 1, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Hi everyone, hope someone can help...I've seen lots of knowledgeable ppl help me on my Hayward aquatrol board a few years ago on this forum, so I'll try my shot...again! :)

I have a 2006 Manhattan 42 jet (RNM42) hot tub with Gecko Pack (model SC-CF-P122-P212-O1-AU11-H4.0-U-RL-JJC-NE-CC5). Motherboard is a 9911-5001985.

The topside is the vintage 4-button one like this: https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/...01.jpeg.d98d6549d73ed6e589a573b91e0f3228.jpeg

Sooooo...After a planned lengthy power failure yesterday, the hot tub started up, but wife heard very odd and strange noises.

I finally got a chance to look at it tonight and the display is blank. no buttons work, but led backlight on the topside is working.

So here's the troubleshooting that I've done:

1) opened pack to look at the motherboard

2) checked input voltages (all good 120V/240V as it should)

3) checked all 3 fuses: they are good

4) Disconnected topside from motherboard to see if the pumps would start: nope!

5) Disconnected temp sensor if it would make a difference: nope!

6) When there's power to the SPA, there is one LED lit on the motherboard...looks like it is CR12

7) I didn't see any visual damage to any components on the board

...and now I'm stuck... I cannot seem to find any information about the motherboard per se. I found the troubleshooting guide and according to it, it states: change the motherboard, which, obviously no longer exists. I rather try to repair the existing board then get a replacement one.

Speaking of which, according to the geckodepot website, I couldn't find my board and options as per the replacement kit (closest I found was the same model except CC7 instead of CC5...IMHO that's close enough!) If I take the CC7, then the new board is 0610-300004. I have no clue how much it costs, but i'm expecting it'll be a swift kick in the...

Any tips, suggestions ideas before potentially looking at replacing the board?

Thanks all!
:)

Thx RDspaguy... I'm trying to avoid replacing the pack, regardless if it's Gecko or Balboa. I did notice in my research that many hate the Gecko packs and convert to Balboa. My goal is not to spend 100's or 1000's on a 16 year old hot tub that is barely used. Our pool get all the action... :)

I'm not sure if that system has low level programming, but you can't really access it without a topside display anyway. If I had to guess I'd say you got a surge and it damaged the electronics, maybe multiple components, at power-up. Unfortunately, you already know the troubleshooting that is available for this, and I have no idea if that board could be repaired. I guess you could bring it to an electronics guy and find out, but if I were there I'd probably be pricing out new controls for you. Once the board is replaced, you can test the rest but if it's a surge chances are it damaged more than just the board.
Wish I had better news for you.
Maybe if you post a pic of the board so I can see what you've got I might notice something, but don't get your hopes up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.