irishmel36

Jun 12, 2023
Rutledge, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HI! So, I am a new pool owner and just found TFP while looking for answers tonight. I know now after reading through Pool School that we don't shock, however, I did not know that a few hours ago when I shocked my pool LOL! I also was not paying attention and I used 2 different types of shock. I put in a bag of cal-hypo and then a little bit later decided that I have had enough of trying to get my chlorine levels up and the water clear and not green so I was going to "double shock" this beast and just get ahead of the game. I then added a bag of sodium dichlor shock. Have I done something terrible? Is my skin going to fall off if I swim in it Wednesday (supposing I can even get everything in range and the green is gone)? Also, my son has been trying to help me clear this thing up and he used a system that had a flocculant in it and he did NOT vacuum to waste. Am I destined to failure? I am being dramatic as heck, but seriously, I am so frustrated with this pool. I am really glad I found y'all and even though I don't have a ton of money to spend on this thing this year I will have to get through with what I have and start buying better from here on out. I've talked too much. If you're still reading, thank you so much! Any and all advice is needed and much appreciated!!!

Welcome to TFP.
We can help you. If you can afford 1 thing this year - purchase a proper test kit. see Test Kits Compared. The TF-100 is a better value - you get more reagent volume which allows you to do more tests before needing to purchase more reagent.

How green is green? Show photos. Throwing "shock" in as you did is just a temporary solution. It may clear it up for a couple of days but algae needs to be permanently killed and removed. The best solution is what we call the SLAM Process. You will need to purchase liquid chlorine (LC) from Home Deport or WalMart or similar type stores in your area. Pool Essentials is one brand carried by many stores.

Do not add floc to your pool and it is not good with sand filters. It will only cause more issues. Also, don't buy and algaecides or other "solutions" from a pool store.

Have you had your water tested by any means?

Reactions: irishmel36
I put in a bag of cal-hypo and then a little bit later... added a bag of sodium dichlor shock. Have I done something terrible? Is my skin going to fall off if I swim in it Wednesday
The warning about mixing chemicals is for OUTSIDE the pool. Different kinds of chlorine can be mixed IN the pool, especially if you give it some time between doses.

All that being said, follow the advice the other guys gave.

Reactions: irishmel36
If the floc was put through your sand filter, you may have trashed the sand. You should try to deep clean the sand first but there's a good chance you'll need to replace the sand. If your sand is destroyed, you'll need to address that before starting a SLAM (once you have a test kit of course).
I'll probably change the sand this weekend then. Thank you so much

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.