OmniPools

In The Industry
Sep 25, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hey yall! So I've come across an issue with a clients minimax NT.

This heater will not ignite for no one. Currently I'm receiving 120v in and out of the hot surface ignitor, I can see it turning RED. The gas valve is receiving 24v at the blue and white wires. Incoming Gas pressure is 8" wc. When opened its at 4". Blower pulls and blows air well. But the control board gives me a E04 code. and the kicker is that the burners will NOT ignite. Orifices are clean, oxidation is minimal. Heck I even plugged 2 of the 8 burners to see if the increased pressure would at least light the burners. But again, no luck.

What am I missing?

What does that code mean? Can you smell gas?

E04- Fan Failure​

The ‘E04’ error code is an indication that the fan, or blower, has failed. Sometimes the signs are apparent like simply hearing unordinary noises coming from the fan. Or, sometimes it can be misconceiving. The blower may turn on and the heater may fire up for a few seconds, but will turn back off within a few seconds.

Solutions

A couple of things can trigger the E04 error code that you should check for:

• A possible bad air flow switch
  • The tube in the air switch (check if it is chewed up or not connected)
  • A bad blower motor

@swamprat69 @ps0303 may be able to help further.

Last edited:
See! That’s the crazy part! I’m receiving voltage on the 2 lines of the blower. The tube is free of any chew marks or punctures. Wires are solid, no breaks. Heck, I even jumped the AFS with a new one…I smell gas when the MV on the gas valve opens up.

But no luck…I can’t let this pool beat me 😅😅😅

I would not put any significant money into it.

If you spend 5 hours and $500.00 in parts and it still does not work, the customer will not want to pay you for a non-working heater and you lose that time and money.

Maybe you double-down and spend more time and money on replacing more parts hoping to get it to work, but it’s a gamble that you are likely to lose.

Even if you get it working, it might stop working in a few days and then the customer will be angry.

Unless you can figure out a simple and inexpensive fix where the heater will be safe and reliable for at least two years, you are better off cutting your losses and just sell a new heater.

Reactions: OmniPools

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See! That’s the crazy part! I’m receiving voltage on the 2 lines of the blower. The tube is free of any chew marks or punctures. Wires are solid, no breaks. Heck, I even jumped the AFS with a new one…I smell gas when the MV on the gas valve opens up.

But no luck…I can’t let this pool beat me 😅😅😅
You may have two failures happening here. How did you plug the the orifices? If you didn't remove the manifold, you weren't able to see if any were plugged already, most likely with spider nest. Most likely, if you do pull the manifold, you will find the orifice directly below the ignitor is clogged with a spider web (nest) and not letting gas through. regardless the brand, spiders seem to gravitate to the ignition source in a heater that has open burners like that MiniMax. You have to remove the manifold, then the orifice, to be able to clean it thoroughly. You may be able to push the web backwards into the manifold with it in place (bent copper wire), but it can then travel to another orifice and clog it.

Reactions: OmniPools
Oh yeah, that was just an image of the equipment. I didn’t have the heater calling for heat yet, that’s why it was at zero.

But yeah, you have a point.

I’ve just sent out an estimate for a Mastertemp and JXI. Hopefully they’ll consider it.

And maybe I’ll take that minimax nt home and roll it down a cliff to make me feel better 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW
The fins on the mini max nt blowers corrode over time, honestly they are a fire hazard as they age. They can still trip ps and and not produce enough air flow, allowing flames to enter the front of the cabinet. You can inspect the fins of the blower, but it’s pointless any blower assemblies are obsolete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.