Mike59

Well you can work with 80. It will just be a higher target and you will have to stay on top of it. Plug 80 into pool math and see what it shows for min FC. That would be your lower limit with a daily target about 2-3 ppm above that. Go on and start the slam process. It should not take long unless you have a lot of yellow. Maintain it like that until you can get some more drains in. Just know, it might seem like a lot of bleach to get from 0 to slam with cya at 80. Once your there it should not take as much to keep it at slam.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I'm going to stick with the 80 for now.
I need 31 to shock at CYA of 80. PoolMath says I need 701 oz of 8.25%.
With 6 bottles of 121 oz. that will get me to 726.

Do I pour this all in tonight and check in the morning before work and then again when I get home?
Since I can't check every hour or two, should I wait till Friday night and check it constantly on Saturday when I'm home?

I just don't want the CC getting any higher or the yellow algae getting worse.

Ok. SLAM has started.
I tried to do a FC reading but I'm confused.
I should be looking for a 31, correct?
I was adding drops and got to 110 before the water started turning clear. I gave up because that seemed a lot.
I then multiplied .2 (used 25ml) times 100 and realized that's only 20.0.
Should I have kept going and used close to 150 drops to get to 31?
Am I thinking this correctly?

I'll run out of drops if I keep testing.

Use the 10 ml sample then multiply by. 5 or divide by 2. If I remember you have the k 2006 right. If so then you really need to get some r-0871 and r-0870. You will run out soon with your FC that high. Tftestkits XL refill is the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I was thinking today that I took readings prior to adding bleach last night and this morning and then added what the calculator said.
However, I did not take a reading after adding the bleach. Should I? And if so, how long after?

Home from work. Back to SLAM.
Need to be at 31.
Added 317 oz. this morning (17)
Need to add 363 oz. now as FC dropped to 15ppm.
Sunny and hot day today.
Water is sparkling clear today.

Will add bleach now and check again later tonight.

Am I wasting bleach since I cannot keep Slam up to 31 during day while I am at work?

Thanks for your responses and help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No need to measure after dosing (unless you are just OCD like me).

Most of us can't stay on top of dosing during the work day. You arent wasting bleach - you just aren't getting there as fast as you could. Think of it like a car, as long as your foot is on the gas you are moving forward as soon as you take your foot off the gas you start to coast and eventually stop (and in this case go backwards). The idea is that you will still be somewhere in the coast mode if you are dosing 2x a day. It's when you get down to the less than recommended range that you start to lose ground, but hopefully no more than the ground you have already gained.

;);)
Morning Numbers:
FC 22
Added a little more than Pool Calc said (2 jugs of 121oz). That's 1 less jug than yesterday morning.
How is your water looking? Sounds like your close to a clear pool. If the water is clear and you show less than .5 CC then run a OCLT tonight. Bring it back up and test 30 min after dose then see if you have a 1 ppm or less drop in the morning. If it does not pass then check for problem areas like behind lights wier doors or under steps. If it does pass then just let it drift down to maintenance levels and enjoy your crystal clear troublefreepool.

Water has been crystal clear the last 2 days. CC is zero or very close to it. But I'm still losing FC overnight, however only needed 2 jugs this morning vs 3 jugs the morning before. I don't have any lights and my steps are fairly new, but I'll pull them out tonight and double check under them. I don't see any algae anywhere, but I do need to brush the walls again and clean up a little debree on the floor. I'll vacumn tonight before I shock. My DE filter is holding pressure and not going up.

I will test before and after adding CL tonight if I have enough test left. I ordered some from tstestkits but may not get that till tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses. It helps knowing someone is taking this ride with me!

Thursday evening. Brushed walls and floor. No dust or algae seen. Removed ladder and clean under steps. Ran Dolphin cleaner.
8:30pm FC 19, CC 0
Need to add 271 oz. going to add 3 jugs of 121 each.
Sunny and hot today.
Pool Temp 83.

1 hour after CL added. FC 33ppm CC 0

Last edited:
Happy, Happy, Happy :rockon:

SLAM Done! Pool cystal clear, CC=0, only 1 ppm loss overnight!

I really want to make sure I understand what happened here with the SLAM.
The last couple of years the Pool Store would tell me to throw in lots of chlorine (they knew it was stabilized). The next morning it was all gone.
This was because of 2 reasons......it wasn't enough chlorine to match the high CYA (which was getting worse) and there was unseen contaminants in the pool that weren't getting killed off (which we were swimming in).
Now with SLAM, all those contaminants are gone and the water is finally safe and I will be able to easily maintain it as long as I bleach it every day to the maintenance number of FC to match my still high CYA (70-80)?

I feel like this all finally makes sense after almost 3 years of frustration! Is what I said a correct understanding?

That's about it. It is a guessing game with pool stores. They have you use a product called "shock" to bring up the chlorine. Most of the time it's not enough so you come back to buy more. Can you say racket. Then after they have your money they use terms like chlorine lock and you need to drain. What are you doing when you drain...lowering your cya, but they won't tell you that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support