MasterTemp 400 won't stay lit

Aug 17, 2014
Loma Linda, CA
Troubleshooting my MasterTemp 400. Kicks on, calls for heat, ignites (I can feel hot air coming out of the exhaust) but after 30 seconds or so the igniter goes off and the AGS light trips.

I don't get any continuity on the AGS switch itself so thinking that's the problem, but then why would the system ignite once at all? I've also cleaned the igniter but not replaced it.

I'm thinking I could jump the AGS wires and see if the system stays on to rule out the igniter and control board?

(I've also just replaced the flue sensor and pressure switch and those lights no longer trip.)

Troubleshooting my MasterTemp 400. Kicks on, calls for heat, ignites (I can feel hot air coming out of the exhaust) but after 30 seconds or so the igniter goes off and the AGS light trips.

I don't get any continuity on the AGS switch itself so thinking that's the problem, but then why would the system ignite once at all? I've also cleaned the igniter but not replaced it.

I'm thinking I could jump the AGS wires and see if the system stays on to rule out the igniter and control board?

(I've also just replaced the flue sensor and pressure switch and those lights no longer trip.)
Are you hearing any noises just before the heater shuts off? Checked water flow?

Hi everyone. Update:

Got a new control board in after having a pro come out and verify everything else. He thought it was the control board but recommended I order online since it was less than half the price of his. Received and installed tonight but board doesn't seem to be getting any power at all. And when I put the old board back, it no longer seems to get power either (no lights on front or back of the board).

I tried testing AC voltage across pins 3 & 4 of the set of wires that I think comes from the transformer but get nothing but may not have gotten a good contact through the molex like connector.

Here's the board I ordered.

Happy to post pics of how I wired things up.

Update on this.

Fuse was indeed blown, but turned out the control board I bought was either bad or incompatible (guess it was after market). Am returning it.

Pro came out and verified everything else looks fine, including gas and water flow.

Ordered a new board:

Installed and heater kicks on, stays on and is heating, but I'm not seeing any digits on the control board LCD display, only the backlight. I verified the 3-wire jumper is across pins 1 & 2. I can turn the heater off and on with the Pool/spa and Heater off button just fine.

The kit did come with a red/black cable that I didn't find a place for.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230108_171005.jpg
    20230108_171005.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230108_171134.jpg
    20230108_171134.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you're on the way to a fix, but will point out I had a similar-sounding problem that was correctly diagnosed by folks here as a Fenwal flame sense/grounding issue. Pentair sells a fix kit for it, which is just a piece of wire (for $16!). But before trying that I just carefully slightly loosened and re-tightened hardware in the igniter area. The problem went away Has been okay for two years so far, knock on wood.

Reactions: JamesW
The red/black cable only connects to the new model Fenwal that is on the "connected heater". If you have the old model MasterTemp heater there will not be a connection on the Fenwal for the diagnostic digital data.

Check the seating of the keypad connector on the board. Or you got a bad keypad with your new board.

Reactions: bradgray
How old is the heater?

What is the part number and date from the label with the barcode?

Can you show a picture of the Fenwal ICM (Ignition Control Module)?

Do you have automation like EasyTouch, IntelliTouch or IntelliCenter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.