Making an old pool NEW again

What an awesome job! I used the same pavers for a walkway. What a nightmare. There's a puzzle to it. I didn't figure out there is a pattern to follow with those pavers until the last 4 ft of my walkway. Everything looks so neat!! Loving those lights too.

Very cool LED lights around the pool! This has inspired me to try this along the fence for some ambient lighting around the entire yard. We opted not to go for the solar light caps for the fence posts due to the salt water/air environment so some low voltage LED lighting strips running along our white vinyl fence may be the way to go.

I'm also very jealous of your A/V rack! How much heat does all that gear produce?

Thanks! The rack when it's fully humming does throw some serious heat....enough to raise the 700 sqft room it's in about 2 degrees per hour. It's setup to draw air in from the front and it exhaust's through the top of the AV closet it's in but in the winter I use it to help heat that room. I was thinking about using RGB LED flood lights built into the ground to light my fence as the install of the strip's would be a bit of a pain. I bet it would look awesome and throw a TON of light though!

Here's the backdoor to the AV closet:

Reactions: BDY
Holy cow that's one neat A/V closet! You must have planned out the wiring in advance. It's nice to have easy access to all that gear/wires. I would never show the back of my A/V closet/rack because of the wire spaghetti behind it! And I have to squeeze around the rack to get behind it.

Awesome looking pool... and lights T..! I want some on my fence like that. :)

We did use fiberstars Fiber optics for waterfall and stairs. They are up inside the grotto and can be angled any way you want to highlight waterfall. Looks like kids messed with the one on the rightbut ya get the idea...
6e41b2fe87316617de993e73e4f286bc.jpg

I took 2 of the 15' long strips and soldered them together. I then took the other two 15 footers and soldered them together to make a pair of separate but matching 30' runs.

Hopefully that makes sense so far.

Now, starting in one corner of the pool, both 30 foot sections get their power. One line goes left down the long run and across the back where it ends in the opposite corner from where it starts. The other line does the same thing on the other two sides of the pool. So, for lack of a better term the heads start off in the same corner together and the "butts" meet in the opposite corner so there's uniform brightness throughout.

If that still doesn't make sense let me know and I can put up a diagram.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is amazing! I have a concrete pad around my pool that is 26 years old and has lots of cracks and stains. Can you give me any insight as to how you accomplished laying the "copping" stones? Did you adhere these to the concrete around the pool? Can the aluminum coping be removed if you need a new liner? I am not really sure how all that works so any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first year with a pool so I am over my head at this point with learning!!!

That is amazing I am now in year 3 of my pool rehab in Reading MA. Our pool is a 1972 gunite that will need to be replastered next year. I am also finishing up a retaining wall. I am particularly interested in your lighting as my pool does not have a light.

You did a great job. I am jealous

Sorry Duckvader, I just saw your question. I haven't replaced the liner (will be doing it next spring or this fall) but from my understanding the coping itself doesn't need to be removed. The liner basically hangs off the bottom of the coping. As long as your coping is solid and well attached to the substrait there should be no reason it ever needs to be removed. Mine's aluminum so no worries like some of the plastic ones that get brittle.

Now I could be in for a big surprise when I go to replace the liner and I'm wrong about the process...

Joshua, the coping stones are put down with construction adhesive; and a LOT of it. So far, so good on holding. It's the same stuff you would use to glue down retaining wall block/caps. It remains flexible so it handles winter well. Only the small coping stones are glued. The decking pavers themselves are all on a bed of paver base sand.

Hey tcrote that looks awesome!! So you were able to put the pavers right over your existing coping? Did the cement walkway go right to the edge of the pool with a bullnose type of coping? I don't think this will work in my case because my coping is not flat and the aluminum is in fact holding up the liner. I was told I would have to change the track that is holding the liner and that would mean also changing the liner. I'm trying to find if there is a way to change my liner track (e.g. to a cantilever track) WITHOUT having to change the liner too.

Hey tcrote that looks awesome!! So you were able to put the pavers right over your existing coping? Did the cement walkway go right to the edge of the pool with a bullnose type of coping? I don't think this will work in my case because my coping is not flat and the aluminum is in fact holding up the liner. I was told I would have to change the track that is holding the liner and that would mean also changing the liner. I'm trying to find if there is a way to change my liner track (e.g. to a cantilever track) WITHOUT having to change the liner too.

Yes I wen't right over the existing coping. The walkway and coping were all part of 1 original pour however the walkway cracked about 6" back from the coping and the walkway sunk down. I glued the rectangle pavers that line the water down to the existing decking which determined the new deck height. I then graded out paver base to meet that level for the actual decking itself. These pictures should help make sense of it:

The coping looks like it was set in place and the original cement was poured into it to lock it in place. My aluminum is also holding up the liner but the liner hangs from the front bottom edge of it. I've removed a section of liner in the past and there's no need to do anything with the coping. I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about with yours without seeing it. Sorry!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.