Make SWG run when there's flow

nickp79

Aug 29, 2022
NJ
I have a few extra omron relays for my compool et upgrade setup. I use a Jacuzzi JSCS-40 on AUX7 so I can schedule its startup and shutdown (usually 1/2 hour after the pump is scheduled to start and before shutdown). Im thinking of introducing a flow switch on the low voltage side, basically cutting LV wire and attaching it to the flow switch to ensure there's flow before starting up the salt-cell.

My pump equipment is up hill, and Im getting to the point where I feel comfortable leaving it running unattended for a few days, but dont want to run into situations where I loose prime for any number of reasons and have the salt-cell continuous to produce chlorine gas despite claims of having its own pressure sensor.

Anyone see any issues with this? I believe the flow switch works by making contact and closing the circuit, so I think I should be able to splice the contact low voltage side and that would give me the security Id like to have. Any concerns here?

Nick,

In theory, a SWCG needs two methods of making sure that the cell is never on when there is no water flow.

The Primary safety device removes any power to the cell's power center when the pump is not being told to run. With a single speed pump this is as simple as wiring the power center to the same AC power that runs the pump. This does not work with VS pumps as they get constant AC power. If you have an automation system, it will normally control the voltage going to the power center with a relay. If you do not have an automation system, then a current sensing relay can be used, or just a mechanical time clock that removes the AC power when the pump is not scheduled to run.

The Secondary safety device is a flow switch. As far as I know, all salt cells have some kind of flow switch that shuts the cell off when there is no flow.

The idea is that it is unlikely that both safety devices will fail at the same time.

If your plan is to add a "second" flow switch that controls the AC power using a relay, then it seems to me that would work just fine..

Whatever your plan, you need two safety devices to prevent the cell from working when there is no flow.

Edit.. I just re-read your post and it seems like all your need to do is wire the SWCG's power center to the Load side of your Pump/Filter relay. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a few extra omron relays for my compool et upgrade setup. I use a Jacuzzi JSCS-40 on AUX7 so I can schedule its startup and shutdown (usually 1/2 hour after the pump is scheduled to start and before shutdown). Im thinking of introducing a flow switch on the low voltage side, basically cutting LV wire and attaching it to the flow switch to ensure there's flow before starting up the salt-cell.

My pump equipment is up hill, and Im getting to the point where I feel comfortable leaving it running unattended for a few days, but dont want to run into situations where I loose prime for any number of reasons and have the salt-cell continuous to produce chlorine gas despite claims of having its own pressure sensor.

Anyone see any issues with this? I believe the flow switch works by making contact and closing the circuit, so I think I should be able to splice the contact low voltage side and that would give me the security Id like to have. Any concerns here?
JSCS-40 is a re-branded CMP SWG Power Clean (formerly SGS Breeze). It has a sensor in the cell. After using several of them I found that the cell must be full of water for them to start generating. Had to raise the RPM on several systems to accomplish that. Just be aware.

Reactions: nickp79
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.