Low water level, am I OK??

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
All,

I went on vacation for a week, then came home and hit a deep freeze which froze my water faucet (forgot to put the cover on it before I left :( ) for the last couple days, I haven't been able to fill the pool up. It is supposed to get above freezing sometime tomorrow afternoon.

I think I am OK because it is not below the skimmer, but cutting it pretty close.

Here are the water level photos:

IMG_20180102_182710.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180102_182655.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180102_182705.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180102_182701.jpg - Google Drive

If you could let me know if I need to do anything drastic like heat that faucet up with a space heater or something so I can fill the pool, I would appreciate it!

As long as the VS pump is simply moving (pulling) water at a low RPM, and not sucking at a high rpm that could create a vortex in the skimmer which could also pull-in too much air, I think you should be okay for tonight. Once the temps warm up slightly tomorrow I would try to get it back to about halfway or so.

Deep freeze in Texas. What's that, 28 °F? :D (was -12 °F when I left to work yesterday, about -3 this morning)

Anyway, won't help you now, but you could always replace the faucet with an anti-freeze one next year or after it thaws. They put the valve some number of inches back from the spigot and auto-drain the reminder of the water so long as nothing is connected to the outlet.

As long as the VS pump is simply moving (pulling) water at a low RPM, and not sucking at a high rpm that could create a vortex in the skimmer which could also pull-in too much air, I think you should be okay for tonight. Once the temps warm up slightly tomorrow I would try to get it back to about halfway or so.

Thanks. I'm hoping it thaws out by tomorrow evening and I'll run it for 2-3 hours. We're gonna get into the mid 40's so it should be good.

Deep freeze in Texas. What's that, 28 °F? :D (was -12 °F when I left to work yesterday, about -3 this morning)

Anyway, won't help you now, but you could always replace the faucet with an anti-freeze one next year or after it thaws. They put the valve some number of inches back from the spigot and auto-drain the reminder of the water so long as nothing is connected to the outlet.

Heh. I'm from Chicago and moved down here to avoid the cold but it seems to follow me down every so often.

Thanks for the tip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.