Low chlorine/No free chlorine

There are two things I recommend you do when you receive your TF-100 kit.

1. Test the CYA with half of the sample water from the pool and the other half tap water. Mix this with the reagent and then the CYA level will be double the reading. This gives you a more accurate result when the CYA is above 100. With this information we can tell you how much water will need to be drained.

2. Raise the FC level to a minimum 10 ppm with liquid a couple of hours before it is dark. Take a FC reading when it is dark and take another one in the morning before the sun is up. This is the OCLT and it will confirm what most of us suspect is that you have organics in the water and you will need to SLAM the pool.

Did you not do a PH test?

Not sure what you mean by "CYA as recommended above 50". If that statement means you diluted the sample with half tap water as suggested, did the test, and the result was "above 50", then THAT number must be doubled to get your real CYA reading, and thats the number needed to make recommendations for how to proceed. Your true CYA level is critical in determining what you should do going forward as to whether or not to do a partial drain & refill (and the volume required), as well as what FC level to maintain during a SLAM.

Now, if a SLAM is required, and I'm pretty sure it will be, and assuming your CYA is above 100, and since you have a SWG, the first thing you're going to have to do is drain & refill enough to get your CYA down around 70. (You also have the option of lowering it even further than that in order to do your SLAM and it won't require as much chlorine/bleach to complete the process. That would require a larger drain & refill plus you'll have to add CYA after you're done SLAMming.)

So, first step is getting an ACCURATE CYA measurement, adjust if needed. Second step is test PH level while FC is below 10, adjust if needed. Once you've gotten those two right, then, if required, stock up on bleach, and proceed with the SLAM process. Any other parameters can be addressed after you're done SLAMming.

Given your previous statements about the gunk in the lights I would pay special attention to those during the SLAM process. What I did was take them out of the niches and leave them hanging in the water, but bringing them up to brush thoroughly every now and then, as well as scrubbing in the niche itself, until SLAM was complete. And don't forget to check/scrub any other possible place algae could be hiding, especially under/around ladders if you have any.

I think I got all of that right, but if not someone more experienced will be along to make any corrections or additions. Good luck.

You do have to go through the SLAM process, CC>.5.

You should lower the CYA level to 70 by replacing water.

Drop the pH to 7.2 before you start adding chlorine.

Run the pump 24/7 and brush the entire pool every day.

You will be finished with the SLAM when:
1. The water is clear.
2. CC<=.5
3. OCLT<=1.0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mark46143 said:
I put the submersible in. I have the intelliflo VS so Im assuming it is thinking there's a blockage in the pool.

Wish they made a bypass to not kick off when pressure fluctuates!!! I have the skimmer blocked.

Thanks

It is done for safety reasons. Unless I am misunderstanding this. Actually, I really wanted to ask why you can't just pull from the main drain(s)?

Good deal. Be aware that testing CYA via the dilution method will cost you some accuracy so your reading of 100 may be off a bit. Once you've refilled and the water has had time to mix well, test again without diluting. You may have to drain a bit more to get CYA where you want it.

Another 18" should get you down to around 70, mid-range recommended level for a SWG. Assuming your pool volume and current tested CYA levels are pretty close to accurate of course.

As previously stated, you can choose to drop CYA even lower to use less bleach/chlorine during a SLAM, but you'll have to add some CYA back afterwards to get back in the recommended 60 to 80 range for your SWG.

*edit*

Shock level for CYA of 90 is about 35. For complete details on proper SLAMming technique click the link in my signature

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.