Low chlorine/No free chlorine

You're pretty close at this point given the high FC level and possible error in measurement. 2 ppm is a lot better than 4 ppm for a difference. Also, you are higher than regular shock level so a larger drop is expected in that case. If you get another measurement like this at higher-than-shock levels, I'd say you were done though you could drop to regular shock level and double-check the OCLT again if you wanted further confirmation.

By the way, what's your water temperature? There will be a higher loss rate at higher temperature. We normally ignore that, but if your water temp is 88-90, it will be at higher losses so being a little over 1 ppm at shock level may be OK. That criteria is a fairly tight one at shock level.

OK, I took the deep light out yesterday after scrubbing the walls and seeing some brown stuff come off the light. When I took the light out a lot of brown/silty stuff came out (the walls of the niche were smooth and the light housing didnt look bad). I left the the light stay on the floor, boosted up the SLAM level to 31.5 (at 9 PM last night). This morning 715, the OCLT reading was 21.5 = a loss of 10. Im comfortable after buying a dosing syringe that I am getting a pretty consistent water sample. The light is still out this morning.

Sounds like the crud you found in the light niche could've been the source of your problem, but, given the pita you've had so far I hesitate to say so. :) If you can get a brush in there I'd scrub the niche (light housing too) thoroughly every chance I got while keeping the FC at slam level for another day, maybe two. If you can pass the OCLT each night then maybe you can finally call it truly whooped. Given your history with this issue, after you're pretty comfortable you're done, you might want to bring FC up to Mustard Algae level again before calling it quits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.