Tuscaloosa, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Started with a dark green pool, attaching pics of what it looks like now. I flocked it last night, circulated pump for 2 hrs and turned it off. Nothing has happened so far.

Also hardness is around 500 which is too high. How do I get that down?

I’m just wondering if it would be better to drain and start over with fresh water at this point. Or should I wait a few days and see if the floc works? We have a new intex salt water pump, 18x48 Coleman pool

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    629.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0918.jpeg
    IMG_0918.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to TFP.
Based on your feedback with use of floc (that is normally a last resort), high CH and use of test strips - it is best to drain and start fresh. How many gallons is the pool?
The fundamental of TFP is to test your own water - see Test Kits Compared and follow FC/CYA Levels.
If that is done, a green pool is a distant memory.
CH can only be lowered by draining the water. Floc can add unwanted chemicals and must be removed by vacuum to waste or via filter which then requires cleaning or backwash depending on type of filter.
Starting out fresh, if the volume is not too great and you have reasonable water costs would be simplist way to proceed.
However, then you need to have on hand stabilizer to add to increase CYA, then liquid chlorine to increase FC levels, Muractic acid to lower pH. With Vinyl pool, CH is not critical.

We're gonna need ACCURATE water testing results. Pleases see our recommended test kits. Those test strips are worthless for a SLAM procedure to clear your pool. At the very least, keep that pump running and filter clean.

We're gonna need ACCURATE water testing results. Pleases see our recommended test kits. Those test strips are worthless for a SLAM procedure to clear your pool. At the very least, keep that pump running and filter clean.
I know I need to get a good test kit. Will order one asap. I can’t run the pump until the flocculant is vacuumed out. Prior to last night pump was running 24/7. I was trying to see if I should wait and give the floc more time to work. Thank you tho. Think I’m gonna drain it and start fresh with a new test kit and everything.

Welcome to TFP.
Based on your feedback with use of floc (that is normally a last resort), high CH and use of test strips - it is best to drain and start fresh. How many gallons is the pool?
The fundamental of TFP is to test your own water - see Test Kits Compared and follow FC/CYA Levels.
If that is done, a green pool is a distant memory.
CH can only be lowered by draining the water. Floc can add unwanted chemicals and must be removed by vacuum to waste or via filter which then requires cleaning or backwash depending on type of filter.
Starting out fresh, if the volume is not too great and you have reasonable water costs would be simplist way to proceed.
However, then you need to have on hand stabilizer to add to increase CYA, then liquid chlorine to increase FC levels, Muractic acid to lower pH. With Vinyl pool, CH is not critical.
The green pool pic was the before pic, cloudy pic is today. The pool volume is 6,092 gallons. It cost $150 on my water bill last year to initially fill the pool. And I’ll have to buy more pool salt which will cost about $30. I have most chemicals on hand but I’ll have to get stabilizer if we refill. Just a bummer. I should’ve just drained it from the start. I’m going to get a good test kit, I know the pool strips aren’t good. Thank you for helping!