Little drip. Ideas?

Well shoot, that stinks. :brickwall: For the MPV, you can try an epoxy on the lower (pressure/return) line, but no guarantee it will work since water is pushing out. Worst case scenario is you have to cut the line to unscrew it anyway, so it's not a huge risk really if it doesn't work. For the top (suction) line, same thing, but you also have the option of rubbing a little silicone on the area while it's running. It might pull the silicone in just enough to cure in that spot. Again, worst case is you cut it out like the lower (return) line anyway. If that happens, then extend the PVC out from the MPV if there's room so you can install a union for future disconnecting.

It looks like your union is leaking as well, but I'm not sure what part of the plumbing it goes to. But basically the same as above.

So regular pvc cement won’t work?
Not on the outside now. PVC glue works to bond the plastic surfaces together, but in this case you're talking about an external application. Since you confirmed the leaks are with the system off, I can only imagine they will drip quite a bit more with pressure applied. No sense taking a risk having the fitting coming apart when you're not around. Best to just call this one a learning experience and re-do I'm afraid. :(

Reactions: Dadofthree74
Others can certainly weigh in, but, I guess the standard answer would be no. The cement actually works by slightly melting the two surfaces thereby ‘welding’ the parts. But, it could work, with any luck. The joints would have to be perfectly clean and dry. I once broke a union nut like the the one in your second image. I cleaned and cemented the nut back together. It’s been fine for better than ten years. Good luck. Can’t hoit to try.

For all this pvc I have been using a circular saw.

What tool can I use the cut the pvc now that is attached?

Can I use a sawzall? I assume yes.

Sorry for the amateur question.

I replumbed a good part of mine using a circular saw...and then the guy that installed the new filter used a battery sawzall, so yes, it works. As does a hacksaw. The key is to cut straight, so the end is square to the pipe. Sometimes hard to do, some practice on scrap may be in order. A wrap of tape with the edge on the cut line will help give you a easy to see line to follow.

BTW - investigate VERY closely - water is sneaky. You may only have one (or two) leak(s), and the water is traveling from the higher, "uphill" locations . Wrap areas with something absorbent to block it from traveling, dry everything with paper towels, and see if you still get the same drips in the same spots reappearing.

If you can identify the location of the leak, Plast-aid will patch it. I used it to repair my cracked SWG. It bonds extremely well with PVC, and it's unbelievably strong. Waterproof Plastic Repair Kits Fixes cracked ABS PVC Acrylic Wood More

6oz_400x.jpg

I replumbed a good part of mine using a circular saw...and then the guy that installed the new filter used a battery sawzall, so yes, it works. As does a hacksaw. The key is to cut straight, so the end is square to the pipe. Sometimes hard to do, some practice on scrap may be in order. A wrap of tape with the edge on the cut line will help give you a easy to see line to follow.

BTW - investigate VERY closely - water is sneaky. You may only have one (or two) leak(s), and the water is traveling from the higher, "uphill" locations . Wrap areas with something absorbent to block it from traveling, dry everything with paper towels, and see if you still get the same drips in the same spots reappearing.
Good idea re the wrap

I was using a 5 in circular saw so may need to get a 7 in to cut it in one cut. (Nothing wrong with more power tools).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good idea re the wrap

I was using a 5 in circular saw so may need to get a 7 in to cut it in one cut. (Nothing wrong with more power tools).
I used my miter saw since I had a lot of cuts to make. Due to the blade kerf it produced a LOT of plastic sawdust. So the cuts were fast and easy, cleanup not so much. The sawzall and hacksaw produced a lot less. Or perhaps it was just finer, so I didn't notice as much....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.