Liquid Chlorine

amd250

Jun 18, 2011
Hello,

I will be using liquid chlorine for the first time. I always use tablets, but none available around me this year. The chlorine directions say :1621737024871.png

My pool is 5300 gallons. So how much Chlorine should I put in.

Also, I was thinking of using a small liquid pump with an adjustable Flow rate: 8-70ml / min. It would go off a on with a timer. Any idea how often and what flow rate I should use to at least keep consistent amount of chlorine in the pool. I have the mechanics all figured out. Not sure about the dosage. Any ideas?

We use PoolMath to calculate chemical doses.

And the amount of chlorine required depends on your CYA level. See FC/CYA Levels and Recommended Levels

How much liquid chlorine also depends on the % strength you bought.

From Liquid Chlorine - Further Reading

When using liquid chlorine you need to calculate how much liquid chlorine poured into your size pool will give you the desired amount of Free Chlorine as measured in Parts Per Million (PPM). This takes some calculating and we have a free app called Pool Math to do these calculations for you.

The strength of liquid chlorine depends on where you buy it and it's intended use. Household bleach can be found with chlorine strengths from 4% to 6%. Pool Chlorinating liquid sometimes called "Liquid Pool Shock" can be found in strengths from 10% to 12%. The label on the jug will tell you the % of Sodium Hypochlorite.

If you need to get an estimate of the amount of water in your pool you can use the calculator at the bottom of the old Pool math web page. You simply enter the pool dimensions and average depth and it gives you the gallons of water in the pool.

Pentair has a Pool Volume Calculator that lets you select from rectangular, oblong, round, and triangle shapes.

Finally, you need to estimate your daily chlorine consumption. An average pool in the summer in full sun will consume 3 to 4 ppm of chlorine from the suns UV rays. In the Spring and Fall chlorine consumption will decrease due to the lower sun angle.

If you are unsure, then begin with adding 3 to 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily as calculated by Pool Math. Your pump should be running when adding any chemicals and let your pump run for at least 30 minutes after adding the liquid chlorine.

Then test your Free Chlorine daily using your pool test kit. If your free chlorine is increasing above your target then reduce the daily quantity of liquid chlorine added. If your free chlorine is decreasing then increase the daily quantity of liquid chlorine added. Within a few days you will know your pools daily chlorine usage and how much liquid chlorine is required.

For example, with a 10,000 gallon pool, adding 40 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine will raise the free chlorine by 3.1 ppm. If 5% liquid chlorine is used it will require 70 ounces of liquid chlorine to add 3 ppm of free chlorine.

Our Recommended Levels page will help you determine the correct Free Chlorine and other pool water chemistry levels for your pool.

AMD, I have no idea what that <copy> & <paste> says?? Use PoolMath (on the computer its at the bottom of this page) just fill out your gallons and put in the "now" option what ppm of FC you have. Then next to it put how much you want. THe program will tell you how much that is in liquid chlorine or bleach.
Make sure you enter the strength of the chlorine you're using.

If you have zero chlorine in the pool now - 11 ounces of 6% PLAIN, unscented, non-thickened, Not CLOROX, brand bleach will give you 1 ppm FC.

Maddie :flower:

We use PoolMath to calculate chemical doses.

And the amount of chlorine required depends on your CYA level. See FC/CYA Levels and Recommended Levels

How much liquid chlorine also depends on the % strength you bought.

From Liquid Chlorine - Further Reading

When using liquid chlorine you need to calculate how much liquid chlorine poured into your size pool will give you the desired amount of Free Chlorine as measured in Parts Per Million (PPM). This takes some calculating and we have a free app called Pool Math to do these calculations for you.

The strength of liquid chlorine depends on where you buy it and it's intended use. Household bleach can be found with chlorine strengths from 4% to 6%. Pool Chlorinating liquid sometimes called "Liquid Pool Shock" can be found in strengths from 10% to 12%. The label on the jug will tell you the % of Sodium Hypochlorite.

If you need to get an estimate of the amount of water in your pool you can use the calculator at the bottom of the old Pool math web page. You simply enter the pool dimensions and average depth and it gives you the gallons of water in the pool.

Pentair has a Pool Volume Calculator that lets you select from rectangular, oblong, round, and triangle shapes.

Finally, you need to estimate your daily chlorine consumption. An average pool in the summer in full sun will consume 3 to 4 ppm of chlorine from the suns UV rays. In the Spring and Fall chlorine consumption will decrease due to the lower sun angle.

If you are unsure, then begin with adding 3 to 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily as calculated by Pool Math. Your pump should be running when adding any chemicals and let your pump run for at least 30 minutes after adding the liquid chlorine.

Then test your Free Chlorine daily using your pool test kit. If your free chlorine is increasing above your target then reduce the daily quantity of liquid chlorine added. If your free chlorine is decreasing then increase the daily quantity of liquid chlorine added. Within a few days you will know your pools daily chlorine usage and how much liquid chlorine is required.

For example, with a 10,000 gallon pool, adding 40 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine will raise the free chlorine by 3.1 ppm. If 5% liquid chlorine is used it will require 70 ounces of liquid chlorine to add 3 ppm of free chlorine.

Our Recommended Levels page will help you determine the correct Free Chlorine and other pool water chemistry levels for your pool.
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.