Limping along - Two speed motor question

Jul 13, 2011
Greetings. I have a Hayward two speed pump that the start capacitor has gone bad on. I live on the island of Roatan and can't get the right dual rated capacitor for a few days. It is ok to use a single capacitor as long as I don't try to use the other speed? That way my pool won't get funky before I get the right cap.

I think this will work, but I'm open to reasons why it wouldn't.

Welcome to TFP.

No, a dual capacitor combines a start capacitor with a run capacitor. You need both for either speed of the pump to run properly.

Can you show the motor label?

Have you tried high speed and low speed?

How do you know that the capacitor is bad?

What part of the capacitor is bad?

Do you have two separate capacitors?

A dual capacitor will be a dual run capacitor.

Run capacitors are usually metal.

Start capacitors are usually black plastic.

In this example, the dual run capacitor is under the hump on top of the motor and the start capacitor is visible in the back.

This is motor type CXCP, which is likely what the OP has.

A start capacitor will not be in the same case as a run capacitor.

I do not think that they make a dual start capacitor even though people refer to a dual run capacitor as a dual start capacitor in many places.

img_1158-jpg.150271

screen-shot-2020-07-01-at-6-50-19-am-png.150333

614Ms1RfEdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

1657305816405-png.433413

1632351487661-png.373514

img_9326-jpg.373653

7f0eb673-f90f-4fab-aaba-192cef8a5195-jpeg.374342

Last edited:
While you’re without a functioning pump you should still dose the pool daily with liquid chlorine to maintain proper fc levels
FC/CYA Levels
Pour it in slowly, away from the pool wall whilst brushing the area so it doesn’t settle on your pool surfaces.
This should prevent anything funky from growing. You can manually skim debris.

High speed is usually PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) and low speed is usually capacitor start/capacitor run.

I think that the higher capacitance value usually goes to the high speed and the lower value goes to the lower speed.

So, high speed should require just the higher capacitance Run capacitor, while the lower speed rerquires the start capacitor as well as the lower value run capacitor.

Did you try to start on high and low speed?

CX means switchless, which means PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor).

CP means capacitor start/capacitor run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.