Light locations??

Brant

Jan 25, 2024
Boerne Texas
Hoping for some feedback on proposed light locations for my pool build. Planning on using Pentair MB lights in pool and spa, Pentair LED bubblers and CMP LED waterfalls. Pool is 38x17 with 18x8 splash pad. An electrician recommended not doing a light on the splash pad because I have lighted bubblers. He also recommended placing lights on the short ends of the pool.

Much appreciate any input.

1707071044867.png

Looks good to me. The biggest concerns are coverage of the lighting and lights shining towards the house and annoying you, and I see neither of those issues.

You probably have more lights than necessary. Pentair guideline is to aim for 4 lumens per square foot of pool surface. For example, if the pool is 500 sq-ft then you need 500x4=2000 lumens. This would be 4 MicroBrites or 2 IntelliBrite rgb.

If you do all those lights I would put the 3 lights on the spa side on a separate transformer from the other 3 so you can run either sets of lights or both. I doubt you will need both other then to summon the UFOs.

Pentair_Light_Comparison.png

• Haha
Reactions: Brant
You probably have more lights than necessary. Pentair guideline is to aim for 4 lumens per square foot of pool surface. For example, if the pool is 500 sq-ft then you need 500x4=2000 lumens. This would be 4 MicroBrites or 2 IntelliBrite rgb.

If you do all those lights I would put the 3 lights on the spa side on a separate transformer from the other 3 so you can run either sets of lights or both. I doubt you will need both other then to summon the UFOs.

Pentair_Light_Comparison.png

I'm at 38x17 (not including the recessed bench). That's around 650 sqft, so 5 lights (500 lumens ea) is right. Thanks for the info.

The lights easily have a 17’ throw. They should be lined up for coverage across the pool on one wall with 4 or 5 lights equally spaced.

Your layout has too much light overlap at the ends and probably too little light coverage in the muddle of the pool.

5 lights about 6 feet from the edge of the pool and 6 feet spacing.

or 4 lights 8 feet from the edge of the pool and 8 feet spacing.

5 lights about 6 feet from the edge of the pool and 6 feet spacing.

or 4 lights 8 feet from the edge of the pool and 8 feet spacing.
Any concerns with having the steps lighted? At 8 ft, I'm pretty much to the far right side of the steps (steps are 10 ft wide). Also, I'm not familiar with how deep lights normally go below the waterline. Would I want to stay consistent depth or place the light on a specific step? The pool water depth on that end will be 3.5 ft
Thanks!

Here is what I would do…

• Light on left centered on steps as shown.
  • Put two lights at the 1/3 and 2/3 points along the tanning ledge
  • Light on the spa wall looks ok. Maybe shift to right a bit or center it on the spa wall.
Post what the distance between lights is when you lay that out and maybe we tweak things a bit.

I think 4 lights will do just fine.

IMG_1145.png

Here is what I would do…

• Light on left centered on steps as shown.
  • Put two lights at the 1/3 and 2/3 points along the tanning ledge
  • Light on the spa wall looks ok. Maybe shift to right a bit or center it on the spa wall.
Post what the distance between lights is when you lay that out and maybe we tweak things a bit.

I think 4 lights will do just fine.
here is a couple options... 2nd one is centered

1707183309257.png

1707183606198.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the centered 2nd one. But either will work and it’s a toss up as to how much the light not being symmetrical on the ledge will bother you or your wife.

I like the centered 2nd one. But either will work and it’s a toss up as to how much the light not being symmetrical on the ledge will bother you or your wife.
Yeah, I'm leaning to the second as well. I prefer the symmetry.

Also, looking online. Are pool lights typically 1 ft below coping or water line? Seems like there are some mixed opinions. Any consensus on this topic here?

And i dont believe i can put the light on my stairs on the first step down. That first step is 11". I only have 6" of water depth to the top of step and half of that wall is covered in waterline tile. Should I place the light on the second step (from the top)? That would put it 12" below water. Will there be enough residual light to illuminate the too step or will it be a hazard? Or do people just put the light right below the waterline tile?

What do most people do in this situation?

Light must be at least 4” below the waterline. Say the waterline is the bottom of your tile line worst case. So 4” below the tile line.

Water is a good lens and will refract light around the steps.

1707195047317.png
1707195154690.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.