baggs32

Apr 15, 2023
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. First post to the forum but I've been following along for a few months now. Yesterday we drained half of our water to lower high CYA and then filled to the bottom of the skimmer before retiring for the night. This morning I turned the hose on (regular tap water) to fill the rest of the way and just before it got to where it needed to be the water turned brown from the hose like it does when they are fixing a water break in the area. Now our pool looks like tea and I'm really hoping this is going to get filtered out! We did notice the water authority draining a fire hydrant up the street which probably caused the temporary brown water in the neighborhood. Please tell me our bad luck today will fix itsel with some lengthy filter operation and that we don't need to drain again!

I have checked the cartridge twice in the past couple of hours and it is getting brown so it seems something is being filtered but it's definitely not a quick process. I did clean it once too.

Pool is a 12X21 oval with 52" walls. We used Clorox triclor pucks since we opened it in 2019 and I finally took notice of the high stabilizer levels late last year then decided to see what that was all about. Needless to say we are now using liquid chlorine and instead of test strips we use a Taylor K-2006C test kit now too. So we're headed in the right direction thanks to these forums and many thanks to all of you that post such great info for novices like me.

Hello and welcome! sounds like you could have iron in the water. Is your water well water or town water? Maybe try some polyfill in your skimmer basket to try and capture it.

I was afraid that was going to be the answer! It's town water for sure and there's no iron issue normally, just when something happens downstream to push sediment into our houses. I'll give the polyfill method a shot. Thanks for the quick reply.

Reactions: Bperry
After about 17 hours of continuous filtering with poly fil and the cartridge filter I'd say the color of the water improved by about half. The Poly Fil and cartridge were very brown and have been dealt with to start fresh again for another day. Hopefully in another day or two my water will be crystal clear again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.