LED strip lights?

poolmanTaylor

Jun 26, 2019
Kalamazoo, MI
Hi there - New member here with a brand new Ultimate Radiance, 1/2 in ground pool. I want to add LED light strips but when I go out to amazon or ebay I am overwhelmed with choices. What is everyone using for LED lighting of their pools? I know I want IPF68 waterproof standard, but beyond that... I'm lost. And, how are you mounting it? All input appreciated!

thanks in advance!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I don't think you can just go out and buy any LED light strips and stick them around a pool. There are safety consideration to be made as far as what products may be designed to work around a pool and how they would be safely wired to not pose a risk to swimmers.

I know I have seen pool options with this type of lighting, but I guarantee they are not just a couple $20 LED strips off of Amazon.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I don't think you can just go out and buy any LED light strips and stick them around a pool. There are safety consideration to be made as far as what products may be designed to work around a pool and how they would be safely wired to not pose a risk to swimmers.

I know I have seen pool options with this type of lighting, but I guarantee they are not just a couple $20 LED strips off of Amazon.

Yeah, the outlet will be GFCI (up to code) and the lights themselves are low voltage LEDs. So, pretty safe. I'm more worried about durability or ideas on in water lighting in general.

thanks!

I have a 14x48 AGP, that is approx 44 feet around. I purchased a 50 foot line of fairy lights from Amazon to go around the top rail. These are IP 67 rated for underwater. Not that I plan to stick them underwater, but you never know what will happen. Best part is they're solar, so no wiring required except to the little solar panel that comes with it.

150 led light string, solar powered

I'll post a pic of them lit up in a separate thread. Just saying you can find affordable LED lights that are waterproof. These were $13.59 and free shipping.

I have a 14x48 AGP, that is approx 44 feet around. I purchased a 50 foot line of fairy lights from Amazon to go around the top rail. These are IP 67 rated for underwater. Not that I plan to stick them underwater, but you never know what will happen. Best part is they're solar, so no wiring required except to the little solar panel that comes with it.

150 led light string, solar powered

I'll post a pic of them lit up in a separate thread. Just saying you can find affordable LED lights that are waterproof. These were $13.59 and free shipping.
thanks! The problem with my pool is there no such overhang to hide the lights. It's just a wall. I might just do the one end which has a deck cantilevered over it

I have thought about doing the same thing under the coping with strip LED lights. I could even run the power wire through my waterfall and no one would ever see it. That shot is great!

Like I said before it was a pretty easy project. I bought 2 X 20 meter strip lights. They are IP67 rated, I would have preferred IP68 but could not really find a set. If you are going to go over 10M in length get 24V instead of 12V, that way the lights will stay a consistent brightness through the whole strand. A couple of power supplies and an LED Controller with Alexa capability and I was done. I can yell at Alexa to turn it on and off change colors. Since I have 2 separate strands I can even make each a different color (Which I do once a year for the 4th so I can turn the pool light white, one strand red and the other blue).

Make sure the speaker wire is outdoor rated for direct burial and it should work great. The hardest part is getting the power wire under the coping but you have that figured by going through your waterfall.

Please be careful!!! You guys are talking about mixing electricity and water and using products that are not intended to be used for this application. Low voltage lighting typically used around pools use special transformers (double insulated? might be the term?) so they are safe in the pool environment.

Just because you can buy something cheap on Amazon and rig it up to put lights around your pool does not mean that it is safe.
12v or 24v is still plenty enough to stop your heart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I have bought some of the LED "waterproof" strips for use on my RZR and toyhauler. The electrical connects are NOT waterproof. The wires are just soldered on the end with a loose piece of shrink tubing over them. Not even marine shrink wrap with the adhesive inside, that really does not work very well anyway. Just because the LED strip itself is submersible does NOT mean that the electrical connection should get wet or that the transformer is safe to use for a wet location (it is all in the advertising).

I agree, which is why I did what I did. The lights I bought are 24v IP67 rated. The connectors at the end are not. However, my coping is 8 inches above the waterline. I sealed all the connectors with shrink wrap tubing and then coated it with silicone. I cant talk about any ratings for that connection, but it works for me. The transformers are under cover at least 10 feet away from the pool.

I am not recommending anyone do this, but it works for me and we love the look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.