Leaky connections to the pump and filter.

Shelah

Jul 10, 2022
Easton, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
The hoses are 1.5" with the threaded cuff and the pump side has the adapter with threads on both sides. Because the Teflon tape wasn't preventing leaks I removed that and started over.
I added liquid Teflon Tape to the threads and screwed the hoses on. They still leaked. I used the silicone caulk. I didn't give it time to cure so I'll check those connections later today but they each had smaller leaks yesterday after I applied everything.

The drain plug from the filter is also leaking.
I applied both to the drain plug. I wasn't able to apply it to a dry surface because even though I plugged up the pool and drained the hoses, there is quite a bit of water leaking through the drain plug. I replaced the drain plug once already and it just seemed like sand had somehow gotten between the plug and wall I'm assuming because nothing was damaged. I had both of them as tight as possible and they seemed to be fine for about 2 days before the new drain plug started leaking.
I'd love some ideas. It would be wonderful to actually get into and relax in my pool.

Posting pics of what you are dealing with may help people understand your situation better then the words.

Here are some pictures. My apologies for the 1960s and 70s angles. I'm also adding 2 videos. well, I will once I figure out how to transfer files from my phone to my computer in an acceptable format!
Sorry,
Posting pics of what you are dealing with may help people understand your situation better then the words.

your pictures didn't come through, maybe if someone sees the problem they will have an idea?
Yeah, I have been trying to figure out how to get the pics off of my phone and onto my computer in a file that is acceptable to your system. So far no luck.

Yeah, I have been trying to figure out how to get the pics off of my phone and onto my computer in a file that is acceptable to your system. So far no luck.
I won't be much help there LOL, I never figured out how to move pix from phone to computer other than emailing to myself or using a chip reader. And I really need to do that since I got another phone a month or two ago and still haven't tried to use it yet. sigh.

Reactions: Shelah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I won't be much help there LOL, I never figured out how to move pix from phone to computer other than emailing to myself or using a chip reader. And I really need to do that since I got another phone a month or two ago and still haven't tried to use it yet. sigh.
I never used to have difficulty. But apparently now Apple has these weird HEIC extensions and nothing else reads or recognizes them. I did find an online free converter to make them jpegs and have just attached them. Hopefully now people can see them. However, I made clips of the drips and they are better but no MOV ext. here :(

Those threaded connections are the current bane of my existence. I ended up pulling the ones off that I could and doing 4 Teflon tape wraps and then getting them tight all the way to the thread stops. That got the ones that were easy to pull off. I need to add another union so I can get the last one and replace a section with a pinhole leak right in the middle of it. Not sure who hates me but I got a 3” piece of bad pipe out of a 10 footer lol

I was so excited to have threaded connections thinking they'd be much easier than the clamps that never seem to close fully.
What do you mean when you say adding another union?
I just got back after emptying my pockets at Lowe's and this time I got different liquid Teflon tape and sealants. I also bought a few different gadgets to apply it more smoothly.
:)

you did it! got the pix loaded.

on this one, your problem MAY be that these intex type hoses have different threads than standard pvc fittings. there is a product called a game connector https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=game+conectors+pools that might fix the leak here.

I can't quite see what the darker hose is or if it is even leaking. same with your drain plug - can't quite figure out what is going on there, again check washers/o-rings - lubricate them. gorilla tape is good for a lot of things but leaks probably not.

you did it! got the pix loaded.

on this one, your problem MAY be that these intex type hoses have different threads than standard pvc fittings. there is a product called a game connector game conectors pools - Google Search that might fix the leak here.

I can't quite see what the darker hose is or if it is even leaking. same with your drain plug - can't quite figure out what is going on there, again check washers/o-rings - lubricate them. gorilla tape is good for a lot of things but leaks probably not.
Yippee! Ok so I did the liquid Teflon and silicone caulk again. I think I have about 2-3 inches deep of caulk around the drain plug. It’s still leaking! I didn’t put Teflon in the drain plug because every time I try to get the cap off, the entire plug spins.
And I had the to the pool hose where it didn’t leak for at least an hour or so. I didn’t look yesterday but it’s dripping again today. I think the one attached to the pump is dry knock on wood!

The black hose is 1.25” and goes from pump to the filter and is currently not a problem. I have been using the Intex A and B adapters. I have purchased replacement hoses with the nut, drain plug, I have replaced the entire multi port because the pool people near here thought the problem was with the diverter. They sold me the part with the handle initially and I got home, started to unscrew the original but after stripping 3 screws I took it off the filter and brought it to the pool guys and asked them to switch the part. They stripped a few more and then I just bought the whole new multi port.

and another and if I can find the last zip I'll send it too

Attachments

• heic.online pool filter (1).zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5230[1].jpg
    IMG_5230[1].jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.