Leak pump to filter

71ailmar

Silver Supporter
Dec 17, 2020
Mesa, AZ
Hello everyone.

So I'm planning on having a warranty request put in (we're about a week away from being out of warranty with all our pentair equipment).
I noticed this morning that there was a ton of fresh water all around the pump pad and when I look closer, I see there's an active leak from underneath the black screw ring thing (see pic, dont know what it's called). Over the past several months
I noticed a bit of mineral buildup of some sort around that pump compared to our other pump that gets used less...didnt think anything of it as I figured we clean out that filter way more than the other so more water gets splashed out. But now I think there's been some sort of very slow leak maybe?
At any rate, I would assume I'd see a change in the filter pressure but everything seems to be working fine, pool is keeping clean as usual, filter pressure remains the same. Should I be seeing a drop in pressure if there's an active leak at that juncture?
I tried tightening that black piece but it's on pretty tight. Maybe an O-ring issue?

Attachments

• PXL_20230822_150301529~2 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230822_150301529~2 (1).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 11
The black ring is called a Union Coupler. With the pump turned off, that ring can be unscrewed and lifted up on the pipe. There is a seal ring between the 2 pipes that face each other. Depending on what flexibility there is above your pump, you need to pull that seal ring, check it for nicks, then reinstall it with some lube. Then hand tighten the black ring.
Normally those unions do not leak unless there is vibration. or someone leaning on the pipe.

The great thing about pump unions, like you have, is that they don't leak!!!

Something is wrong.. I'd follow Herman's advice above..

My pull it out of my rear guess is that you have one of those cyclone pre-filters mounted above your pump. Is that correct???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all for chiming in! And yes indeed I have a multicyclone....for 3 years now. So I guess it takes about 3 years of use before the vibration loosens the pump union (or breaks the o-ring or whatever is going on there).
I'll post back after inspection.

Could also be that your cyclone is plugged up.. The water has to go somewhere.

Some say those cyclones are well worth the money, but I'm still on the fence.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Cyclone is definitely not plugged up as I clear that thing every week or two and even emptied it today...and water goes straight through to the filter so all should be good there I believe.
And I've seen some threads where the mutlicyclone's use is questioned....I get it, not everybody likes it and that's ok. Living here in the valley, especially like us on a corner lot fully open to the wind and not a whole lot of trees to filter debris, I appreciate the cyclones.
A neighbor a few years back ended up re-doing some of his plumbing to add the multicylone because he was sick and tired of having to clean his filters every 3-4 months. Put that thing in and didnt have to clean but once a year. That's been our experience too, he was the one that recommended it to use when we were doing our build.
The wind storms here and the amount of dirt is hideous. And we don't use any type of robot or manual vac so those cyclones are great. Even if it breaks an O-ring every 3 years, I'd still use it, LOL.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.