East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have been trying to correct a leak from my spa that was losing 2 inches of water every 12 hours - but stopping at tile line. Over the last year plus, I have takes the following steps (leak masked by autofill, but obvious because of declining chemical levels):

1) Let water drop with pump off and autofill off. Determined water levels drops rapidly to the end of skimmer / tile line, then stops (small evaporation only after that). Massive leak documented by falling salt levels in water (200 ppm / day while autofill runs). Pretty sure leak is not in the plumbing as pump joints now solid (replaced pump and PVC connections) and no water there. Further, leak happens with pump off. And repeating, leak stops at tile line / skimmer. Inside skimmer box, basket says full so source of leak is not the suction pipe to pump.

2) Have failed to find a leak using dye. Cannot find a spot where dye is sucked in. Biggest problem is that the skimmer joint with the pool is under a coping stone, and there is a long throat of diamondbrite at the bottom (I assume over gunite), with tiles on the sides, leading to the skimmer joint (all under the coping stone).

3) Spa was refinished this May. Joint with spa and skimmer was filled with fresh mortar so it should be water tight.

4) On skimmer side of joint, at the tip of the throat, the weir door was removed about 5 years ago by my former pool service company. I believe they cracked the lip of the skimmer as I saw remnants of a prior patch there.

5) I have tried several times to seal the lip of the skimmer with pool putty, in case it is leaking. None of this has helped. Tried last year multiple times and again last week. Leak remains at 200 ppm salt / day.

6) Yesterday I used epoxy to create a U shaped partial block on the diamondbrite / spa side just before water enters the skimmer. My goal was to isolate the leak on either the spa side or the skimmer side. I am looking to see which area loses more water (the U creates a 3/4 inch lip presumably that water does not cross over while water is still), and it looks to me like spa side has more water loss. I am attaching pictures. I continue to monitor hourly. It seems that the "normal" rapid water loss occurred overnight, but at 9 AM today I had lost 1.75 inches or water instead of the expected 2 inches. I would say its close enough that its probably artifact, except the rate of drop has now slowed significantly on both sides of the U. But it does look like water is falling on the blue side (spa) more than on the white side (skimmer) I am continuing to monitor, but its raining so that will set me back.

7) Thinking that the leak my be on the spa shell at the tile line and not inside the skimmer, I tapped on the spa tiles. The two tiles on one side of the throat under the coping stone going into the skimmer sound hollow, relative to the other time. Again it's difficult to say for sure as all of this is under my coping stone. But this is the first sign I have seen of something that might actually cause a leak. I just wish I could confirm with dye.

8) Looking back at old photos and trying to remember past experiences, my pool company has replaced the spa tiles at the skimmer area several times over the last 20 years. The outside tiles (not in the throat) have failen off at least on three separate occasions and been repaired. I do not recall anyone calling my attention to repair of the throat tile, but the diamondbrite at the bottom o the throat was redone about 4 years ago (company was fixing a crack in my pool and used the wrong color of diamondbrite so the patched areas stood out. I can see in old photos that they redid the throat section at the spa (it was much lighter, before this year's refinish of course) - this was all billed as "skimmer crack repair" along with the repair they made where the weir door came out.

Obviously I wish this was addressed properly before the season and before the spa and pool were refinished. But I am where I am. At minimum, I think the two hollow sounding tiles should be popped out and replaced (with the area waterproofed). But should I also remove and replace the coping stone above this area so it's easier to access? Also, I am not sure that the flat area in the throat with fresh diamondbrite is not leaking too. As I said, I believe this was leaking 4-5 years ago but repaired by prior service company (and they are not cooperative now in terms of telling me what they did or did not do - they refused to even acknowledge the leak last summer before I got rid of them).

Sorry lots here, but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible. I have invested many many hours in this project to date - it is very unpleasant having to add salt, calcium and stabilizer to the spa twice a week as part of the routine maintenance, not to mention the water is going somewhere and that can't be good (lots of ants in the area, probably attracted by the leak).

I might add I have been trying to get a pool professional over here to help me with the detection and repair, but its difficult to find someone in the area who I will not also give a weekly service assignment to. Regular customers get priority.

Photos below from last year and current. "2021 early repair" was from patch work done in 2017 or so.

Attachments

• 2021 throat.jpeg
    2021 throat.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 2022 general layout.jpeg
    2022 general layout.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 46
  • 2022 with U inside skimmer view.jpeg
    2022 with U inside skimmer view.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 2022 throat with U outside.jpeg
    2022 throat with U outside.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 2022 after letting leak.jpeg
    2022 after letting leak.jpeg
    777.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 2022 bond coat.jpeg
    2022 bond coat.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 2021 general area.jpeg
    2021 general area.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 2021 early repair.jpeg
    2021 early repair.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 2021 throat1.jpeg
    2021 throat1.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 44
I have been trying to correct a leak from my spa that was losing 2 inches of water every 12 hours
Can you isolate the spa from the pool? Sorry, my focus went to this opening line in your post. If you can isolate the spa, then let the water drop until it stops. It is only the spa volume of water. Then at that level more should be revealed on the source of the leak.

The pool and spa are independent of each other. Sorry I should have mentioned.

That is what I am doing, and spa side seems to be dropping while skimmer side drop stopped. Spa side will stop too, at the level
Of the skimmer. The U I put in should hold extra water on skimmer side. I’ll know for sure in the am once the rain stops. It was pretty much there before rain started.

But what is the best way to deal with spa side problem? Does re-setting the hollow sounding tiles make sense as a next step?

At minimum, I think the two hollow sounding tiles should be popped out and replaced (with the area waterproofed). But should I also remove and replace the coping stone above this area so it's easier to access?

You are not going to know what you find until you do the exploratory surgery.

The bummer is you really need to drain your spa and shut it down for a while.

Yes, I would remove the coping stone over the area. Then plan on removing all the tile and then rebuilding it up with a waterproof layer, thinset, tile, and grout.

The most frustrating part is that whatever I did to help diagnose has slowed the leak significantly on both sides of the block. It rained almost 1.5 inches here last night (bucket next door to prove it) and now 24 hours later I am back where I was yesterday. I have waterless at 2 inches every 12 hours until about 1 inch above the tile line. But then the leaking goes to minimal. I will see how it looks in the AM tomorrow and post again. I am pretty sure that one tile is hollow. although the stone contractor who was here today was less sure - he thought everything was good (except the leak of course).

Report from the AM. After 14 hours overnight, water inside skimmer did not drop at all. Water outside skimmer has fallen 1/4 inch below skimmer line. Looking around the spa, the tiles are not 100% at the same height. While in most place, water has dropped up to 1/4 inch below tile like, there is still one area where tiles are lower and water at tile line. I will watch another 12 hours to see if level drops below here. But 1/4 inch loss overnight is a far cry from the 2 inches I was losing, which again is strongly suggestive that I have most of my water loss coming from skimmer area, but not the skimmer itself.

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpg
    IMG_5003.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 6
I may have found the crack between the basket and mouth of skimmer on side wall after weeks of searching. Does this look like a crack or am I using my imagination? If a crack, what is best way to seal?

Attachments

• IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 16
I am about to try Fix-A-Leak as a last resort, having determined my leak is coming from the underground piping to my spa jets (could be in spa jet or air blower line).

I have a bypass on my spa heater so I assume this is a good time to use it, and I know to remove the cartridge filter. But what should I do about the AquaPure chlorinator? Will passing the Fix-a-Leak through it damage my cell? What are my alternatives?

I'd install a dummy cell. Jandy calls theirs a spool kit / winterizing kit and it's just a fake cell that's empty. The other brands use the proper length straight pipe with unions at many times less the cost.

I understand your wits end Hail Mary, and you have my usual well wishes for success. But i wouldn't want it going through my $1200 SWG. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am about to try Fix-A-Leak as a last resort, having determined my leak is coming from the underground piping to my spa jets (could be in spa jet or air blower line).

I have a bypass on my spa heater so I assume this is a good time to use it, and I know to remove the cartridge filter. But what should I do about the AquaPure chlorinator? Will passing the Fix-a-Leak through it damage my cell? What are my alternatives?
Since Fix-A-Leak says it can seal a 1/4" hole and the plates in your SWG are closer, it very well could clog it. Best to get it out of the system, even if it takes a minor replumb.

Do you think I could just attach pipe to two 3 1/4 male threaded ends and accomplish the same? Jandy kit is over $150. Cheaper to replumb and remove chlorinator altogether myself I suppose.

I am using a liquid product called "fix-a-leak". Here is a link:

I have a 3000 sf spa with its own filter and chlorinator, apart from my pool (as well as 8 jets powered by two 2HP Superpumps and an air-blower). I have had a leak in the spa for the last two seasons which has been getting worse, causing me to lose 400 PPM of salt concentration per day (I dont notice the 2 inches lost per day because of my autofill). I finally pressure tested the spa jet lines and found a leak - loss of 2psi during the pressure test. My pipes are underground below a stone patio. so digging it up does not make sense during the summer season. So I decided to give the liquid fix-a-leak a try to see if at least lessens the leak until I can get it properly corrected.

Since the material is viscous and intended to plug leaks, I wanted to get the pool heater and salt water chlorinator off the plumbing lines (and removed the cartridge filter). Fortunately I installed a bypass this spring for the heaters, so that part was easy. I mail ordered a dummy salt cell for my Jandy AquaPure, which arrived yesterday. I poured a full 32 oz bottle of fix-a-leak into the ran the filter pump at low speed for 6 hours yesterday. The spa is still leaking, so I am running another 6 hours today and will repeat one more time tomorrow. I will report back as to whether it helped.

Day one update - lost 7/8 inch in 24 hours. Big improvement over loss of 2+ inches per day. Added water back to original fill line and continuing treatment for another day. Will report water loss tomorrow and the next day. Planning three days of treatment before filtering the fix-a-leak out. Hoping for more improvement but dont expect perfection. This is a stopgap measure.

Reactions: Newdude
Day three update - lost 1/8 inch over 15 hours. As a final step, I added a second quart of fix-a-leak for a final 24 hours. I will measure level of water loss but plan to filter out tomorrow regardless. I have been in contact with customer service representatives at fix-a-leak and they recommended this approach, although they qualified by saying my initial leak was so large that they doubted their product's ability to fully correct.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.