Unbakedpegga

Sep 9, 2021
Lebanon Tn
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am so glad I was able to find this forum again. With the last post I wrote it was about heavy algae in my pool. I finally had to hire someone to correct it and it cost me $500 but I am going to have a leaf net as my winter cover. I live in zone 7A and the literature that I have read says it is acceptable to use a net in this area. So I have bought one and it is a 30 foot pool and I don’t know anything about shutting it down. I have a hire it out every time but the price keeps going up and I’ve had two people quote me almost $400 to shut the pool down and I just can’t afford that anymore. For one thing I’m old (78)and I’m on Social Security so that doesn’t allow a lot of luxuries. I feel like I can do it if I just set my mind to it I’m pretty sturdy. I don’t know whether to lower the water level or leave it as it is, I don’t know whether to run the pump or leave it off. I don’t know if I put chemicals in it over the winter. I just don’t know a lot and I would so appreciate some advice

Welcome! It's quite possible that you may be able to close the pool yourself. Your signature doesn't have any info about your pool, so below I will place a couple article you can read base on your pool type. Look those over and let us know if you have any questions.

I filled out the signature file. I hope I answered all questions right. I would appreciate any information on shutting down with leaf net cover. I didn’t know about leaving pump on or off, lowering the water level, adding chemicals. I hope I am adding this to right forum

The leaf net may not do what you think. It will kind of hold the leaves in a tea bag type situation allowing them to decompose & they will end up in the water anyway unless you empty it often.
I suggest getting a solid tarp style cover & putting the leaf net over top of that. That’s what I do & it works really well. It allows me to dump the leaves off the cover without disturbing the solid cover after the bulk have fallen & easily put it back. I just use some binder clips to attach it to the top rails. Then in the spring I do the same again after all the squiggly things fall before removing the solid cover.
It also helps keep debris out of the cover pump. You want to keep it pumped off as much as possible.
Closing an above ground pool is quite easy.
#1 wait until water temp is low 60’s & falling
#2 Get water balanced like normal What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?
Next- Raise fc to slam level for your cya
FC/CYA Levels.
Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you’re algae free.
Next- Lower the water to just below the skimmer (a few inches),
plug the returns & unhook all the hoses, then pull all the drain plugs on the equipment (pump & filter). The hardest part is deploying the cover & that’s just because it’s big. I normally have one of my kids help me with that. I use the binder clips as i go to keep it from slipping. Its best to do it on a calm day so you’re not dealing with a sail.
You are farther north than me & we get some pretty deep freezes so I don’t think leaving the pool running is a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.